Didn't like the shake cake...

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 1:14 am

That's where we're different.  I can't stand protein shakes made with water.  Reminds me of Optifast.  The carbs in milk are of little consequence to me.  
airbender
on 10/7/11 11:08 am
I don't either....so I eat protein instead....I have tried every protein shake, the best is muscle milk or atkins for me, but i only drank maybe 6 in my lifetime and it was really early out.....dirty socks, nice.....
jenflock
on 10/7/11 11:24 am - TN
I HATE protein shakes but the cake and coffee are ok. Force them down until you can eat your protein  in full measure. good luck to you. also keep trying samples of the different flavors. You may just not have happened upon the right flavor for you.  I mostly eat meat aaaaalllll day long and easily get 150+ of protein daily. the joy of being a grazer!!

Julie R.
on 10/7/11 11:30 am - Ludington, MI
 I found that Designer Whey has the most "un-whey-y" flavor of any.    I mix mine w ith a bit of heavy cream and the res****er.    I also find that putting a teaspoon of instant espresso powder or adding a few tablespoons of brewed espresso helps to make it more like an iced cappuccino and cuts the whey flavor a bit.

But, like Becky said, if your nutritional status is being compromised, you might just have to drink it to drink it.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

AllieInOntario
on 10/7/11 11:33 am
Funny how our tastes change after surg, and then as the months go by.  I liked the shake cake initially, now... ick.   The idea of anything messin' with my coffee makes me murderous too ;).. so no protein coffee for me :)

The nectars, I find too sweet ... So I put in a LOT of lemon juice to make it drinkable.

Right now,  what worked for me, was Champion Choc mixed with diet hot chocolate.  I mix the Champion with half milk, half water in a little blender (make sure it's mixed really well)... then make hot chocolate and mix the two together.  

Doesn't stink like whey or monkey butt :)    Good luck... experiment. 
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

meredith_123
on 10/7/11 12:28 pm - Waterford, MI
Here's a link I have bookmarked with tons of ideas to make the shakes taste better
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/LapBand/3823448/Protein-Shake-rec ipes-to-die-for-I-am-two-years-out-and/

Right now, my favorite is the Champion whey stack in chocolate.  I make it in the blender with some ice & a scoop of sugar free peanut butter.  Smuckers makes a natural peanut butter with no sugar.  I've noticed that some of the "natural" peanut butters still have sugar in them, so you have to read the label to make sure. 

Did you make the shake cake with vanilla protein? 
I've only had it once since surgery.  I like the taste, but just didn't have enough room to get it all in.  Took me so long to fini**** I think this early out that shakes are just easier to get in.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
gak
on 10/7/11 1:50 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
I like IDS protein...the vanilla cinnamon and belgium chocolate.

here is a link, but shop around, prices have been changing lately
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ids/multi.html

I also use water as I am lactose intolerant. I do a scoop and half or 2 full scoops depending on how I feel. I use a blender bottle, put in some water, some protein power, chipped ice and fill l up with water and shake until well blended. Very satisfying to me.

Hope you find a combo you like.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

worlfree
on 10/8/11 8:42 am - DivaTown, NC
 I dont like the cake shakes either, tried different recipes from the site, I ate like 2, then after that it was like oh no(yuck), I love coffee but dont like protein coffee, so far the only 1 I'm good with right now and I just started this one is the Choc truffle by syntrax nectar...

Victorious_one
on 10/9/11 4:21 am - South Central, PA

I can't get the cake to "make" right for me, so I can't eat it.

I'd say:

1) Try Chike.  Every one of their flavors is absolutely delicious.  They're offering free samples with minimal shipping right now:
http://www.chikenutrition.com/free-sample.html

2) Try Vitalady protein flavor samples.  They're affordable and you'll know what you can tolerate and what you can't before you buy a big ole jug.  Here's the list of whey blends:
http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=WhPtnBlnd&template=Templates/BlendGroup.html

3) When you find a flavor/brand you can handle, try it with different liquids (cold water, warm water, flavored water, unsweetened juice, etc.).

4) Try ready-to-drink protein varieties.  I like EAS AdvantEDGE from Walmart, four 11-oz drinks with 17g of protein for about $5.  Premier Protien Nutrition shakes you can get at Sam's Club and/or Costco also get high marks.  Twelve 11-oz drinks with 30g of protein are about $18 at my local Sam's.  Certainly CVS, Walgreen's, Vitamin Shoppe and GNC would have other brands.  I'd say jus****ch the carb count and get as high of a protein count as you can.  Special K and Slim Fast are not going to cut it.

I believe it eating your protein, but all WLSers to me need a protein drink that they can stomach so that we can get a protein boost when needed.  I've been protein malnourished and believe me, you don't want any of that.  You can't eat your way out of it.

Hang in there!

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
orangecrushed
on 11/26/11 1:21 am - Triad, NC
Thank you for the link to the Chike samples!