Becky--other cake bakers...

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 2:28 pm - Tuvalu

I did your recipe and it was like a rubber hockey puck.  I did eggface's recipes and they were like rubber hockey pucks.

What am I doing wrong?

KarenFlorida
on 10/8/11 2:33 pm - Orlando, FL
Mine was like a petrified hockey puck! I'll be waiting to hear the suggestions on this.

Karen
elixir
on 10/8/11 4:26 pm - MI
What are you making your cake in? I use a large coffee mug. They have never turned out hard. Maybe you're baking them too long? Mine usually come out sort of spongy-like and soft.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

airbender
on 10/8/11 9:17 pm
ew that sounds soooo yucky....it sounds like maybe it is being microwaved too long? you may have to mess around with this to get it right.   I actually watch mine, it gets really fluffy high -for me it is pretty much done, and it is still moist, but I do pour about 2-3 tbls of cream over it, just to make it "richer" but it is not like a hockey puck.   how about oil, are you adding it? .....my teenager loves those cakes....
teachmid
on 10/8/11 9:27 pm - OKC, OK
How long did you microwave your's and what size bowl? I think it's a time issue. I've never had a problem.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Emily F.
on 10/8/11 11:39 pm
Reduce the cook time.
beemerbeeper
on 10/9/11 1:00 am - AL
Too little fluid and /or too much cooking.

I GENEROUSLY pour in the oil.  Enough that I can mix the dry ingredients in it but it is goopy.  (But I NEED the oil this is not required)  Then I slowly add water until it is thin and no longer grainy textured. Stir stir stir.    Then cook only 35 seconds or even less and check it.  If it moves when you tilt the cup it is still fluid at the bottom.  Yum to me but it you want it all dry like a cake then cook another 5 seconds.

How SWEET you want it is managed by the amount of splenda you use.  Taste the batter.  That will guide you. 

But even cooked "perfectly" it is still going to be dryish and needs to be topped with something yummy.  I use LandOLakes Sugar Free whipped cream with 0 carbs.

But not hockey puck.  Nope I've made those too! 

You just need to experiement a few more times.  Changing the container you cook it in changes how long it has to cook also.

I use a Corning heavy mug (20 oz) that I got at Walmart.  They come with a plastic lid (I guess for traveling coffee drinker).  This is the perfect size as I can top it with a ton of whipped cream.

I use the same (unwashed) mug for a day.  I leave it in the microwave when I'm not using it.  Then I throw it in the dishwasher. 

Let me know if you try again.

~Becky

Emily F.
on 10/9/11 8:12 am
On October 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
Too little fluid and /or too much cooking.

I GENEROUSLY pour in the oil.  Enough that I can mix the dry ingredients in it but it is goopy.  (But I NEED the oil this is not required)  Then I slowly add water until it is thin and no longer grainy textured. Stir stir stir.    Then cook only 35 seconds or even less and check it.  If it moves when you tilt the cup it is still fluid at the bottom.  Yum to me but it you want it all dry like a cake then cook another 5 seconds.

How SWEET you want it is managed by the amount of splenda you use.  Taste the batter.  That will guide you. 

But even cooked "perfectly" it is still going to be dryish and needs to be topped with something yummy.  I use LandOLakes Sugar Free whipped cream with 0 carbs.

But not hockey puck.  Nope I've made those too! 

You just need to experiement a few more times.  Changing the container you cook it in changes how long it has to cook also.

I use a Corning heavy mug (20 oz) that I got at Walmart.  They come with a plastic lid (I guess for traveling coffee drinker).  This is the perfect size as I can top it with a ton of whipped cream.

I use the same (unwashed) mug for a day.  I leave it in the microwave when I'm not using it.  Then I throw it in the dishwasher. 

Let me know if you try again.

~Becky

It was good. I put greek yogurt on top. Too much oil for me, I'll skip on that next time, but hopefully will sit better than the pancake mix one.
linda1814
on 10/9/11 1:43 am
 Mine have never come out like hockey pucks either.  I use a shot glass method and it gets it right every time.  I use a scoop of Champion Nutrition chocolate protein, sometimes a tablespoon of hershey's cocoa powder, either a few packets of Splenda or some granulated Splenda, a quarter teaspoon of baking powder, then one shot glass full of half and half, another shot glass full of flavored syrup, and another shot glass to a shotglass and a half of oil (or melted butter or coconut oil).  Mix it all up, put it in a taller bowl and microwave.  Mine go in for a min to a min and 15 seconds.  I'd microwave in 15 second intervals after the first 45 seconds so you can test it and make sure that you aren't overcooking.  And I usually pour some half and half over it when I take it out.  

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

dustydeer
on 10/9/11 2:17 am
My favorite mug cake is with bananas and walnuts, I've only made a few other flavors and those turned out a bit dry with the cooking time instructed, I imagine its the extra moisture from banana that makes it turn out better. I use a bit more oil than she calls for and put a dollop of butter on top of the cake before it goes in.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude