Some "persuasion" help please!!!

larra
on 10/9/11 7:19 am - bay area, CA
It's true that at some point, you need to let it go, but I get the feeling that you aren't at that point yet. And I'm glad, because going from lap band to RNY or DS isn't a huge increase in risk, nor is it difficult to find a surgeon who can do it, but going from RNY to DS is far higher risk, done by only a handful of surgeons, and sometimes not even possible. So I think you are right to hang in there awhile longer, though I can't say for how long. I think you will know when to let it go.
     In the meantime, you might point out that she is getting her info from doctors who either don't do DS and don't want to lose a paying customer, or from misinformed pcp's who either have never even heard of the DS or who have been told (by the above RNY surgeons) that it's super dangerous. You and I know that this isn't so, that the risks of DS are roughly the same as RNY, but she's hearing this from the supposed experts. And as much as people complain about medical care in this country, HMO's, etc, most people like and trust their own doctors. 
    So that's what you're up against, and if you can get her in for a consult, either for her or your own consult, with your DS surgeon who can be a doctor with a different perspective, that would be your best bet.
    Good luck, this is a tough one.

Larra
no_more_rolls
on 10/9/11 8:14 am - Jackson, MI
Good luck getting your sister to change her mind!  I understand you care about your sister and you only want the best for her, but it is her decision.  All you can do is provide the tools you have given her so far and then let it be.  The more you try to "help guide" her in the right direction the more likely she may grow to resent you.  Just know in your heart you tried.  Hopefully she will change her mind, but if not, be there for her when she needs you like you are trying to be now.  Oh and most importantly, NEVER say I told you so...even if it may be true!  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Twyla S.
on 10/10/11 10:51 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Had a good talk with my sister today.  I didn't push the DS at all.....just asked her to read up on the RNY a little more.  I explained to her about what I'd read about the weight regain, and how much more dangerous it would be down the road, if the RNY didn't work out.  I was honest....I said there are some, of course, that have done well with the RNY, just like the FEW I've seen with the band.  She seemed pretty receptive today and promised she would read the links that she had ignored (yes, she admitted she hadn't read them...LOL).  I explained that gastric bypass is what most of the docs know about, plus they're done like a production line....easy in, easy out.  She was not aware of some of the things I told her, so I believe at the very least, I have her thinking enough to read more.  Like I said, she isn't stupid by any means......even if she is my bratty little sister!  Thanks guys for all the ideas!