PSA--Why to NOT get a Full Body Scan...and maybe why TO get one...

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 12:51 am, edited 10/8/11 12:56 am - Tuvalu

Besides the issue of radiation, which might be worth it if the results were anywhere near accurate, we have the following:

•We were told that my husband had severe COPD and that his lungs were in far worse condition than mine.  We tested him and, for a guy who smoked for 30 years, his lungs are performing at 84% of predicted where as my lousy lungs are crawling along at 64%. 

•We were told that my spine is crumbling and that I would be a candidate for the kyphoplasties (a procedure my mother has had every time she manages another compression fracture) within a few years.  My ortho didn't see that problem and my DEXA Scan disagrees.  My spine IS "worse" than it was three years ago...but my spine is still within the range of "Normal."  My femur score is still "Osteopenic," which for a 64-year-old former smoker who hasn't had any estrogen in her system for almost 35 years, who has had long periods on steroids and who who avoids the impact exercises that help prevent osteoporosis--walking, for example--due to bad knees and the breathing problems mentioned above, is not unexpected.  So ONE femur measurement has gone from -1.5 to -2.0, which is not good.  But it's not osteoporosis, and maybe I SHOULD take a little estrogen or something.

•we were told that our livers were shot and we were on the verge of cirrhosis...but the blood tests disagree.

•we were told that our arteries are all calcified...we see the cardiologist Monday for test results, but we doubt it.

So...accuracy...or the lack thereof..would be the OTHER reason to not get a full body scan.

HOWEVER, the scary results were enough to get us off our asses and off to see real doctors.  So THAT was good.
beemerbeeper
on 10/8/11 1:17 am - AL
I wondered what you had decided to do.  It is hard to grasp how pictures can lie, but I know from first hand experience that they can.

When my youngest was about 9 she was xrayed by a ortho and diagnosed with severe scoliosis and a brace was prescribed.  We took her, and her xrays to another ortho who said she had some scoliosis but not nearly enought to require years of bracing.  When he put up the xray we brought with us and the xray he took (one month apart to the day) it looked like TWO DIFFERENT SPINES!

How could that be? 

His explanation?  Xray "technique."

All I know is the kid didn't have to suffer through years of braces and all that means to a young person.

I look forward to finding out what is true and not true from your scan and WHY.

Glad you are seeing docs.

~Becky

Julie R.
on 10/8/11 2:52 am - Ludington, MI
 Well, at least one of you is in better shape than you thought, LOL.

My mother just had kyphoplasy performed for her spinal compression fracture, and it was quite successful.   She is completely disabled due to spondylolisthesis, but this at least helped the fracture pain.    

My PCP's nurse called the other day.   Not knowing about my history, she told me "Your DEXA results showed you are osteopenic in the spine and osteoporotic in the hip.   We recommend you do some weight bearing exercise and take calcium with D added."   That was it.   I started laughing out loud when she said that.  She probably thought I was a lunatic.    I have an appointment at the bone and metabolism clinic at University of Michigan Hospital on Monday, 17 Oct.    They had an endo doc that specializes in post-bariatric surgery metabolism issues.    I'm not sure why I didn't think of looking there first, before driving all over two states trying to seek help.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 3:02 am - Tuvalu

Actually, we're BOTH in better shape than we thought!  I thought that last time I had "osteopenia" and "osteoporosis" as the results...I did not.  And I don't have ostepoprosis--yet--anywhere tested.  And we never thought his lungs were screwed up...THAT was scary...when they said his were worse than mine.

Anyway...would you mind asking your guy if he has any colleagues out here in Tuvalu?  I'll earcho n my own, but I'll send you a PM, too.
Julie R.
on 10/8/11 3:19 am - Ludington, MI
 Do aforementioned Tuvaluvian docs need to be bilingual?  Or would English only suffice?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

sandyv63
on 10/8/11 5:47 am - Naples, FL
I am not sure if this would work for your situation, but have you ever considered thermography? Absolutely no radiation is involved so you are not irradiating yourself.  It is better than a mammogram as far as catching breast cancer early but I know it is useful for many other diagnoses. I tried to search for a facility where you are but the closest I could find was Australia. That would be quite a swim...
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 6:42 am - Tuvalu

Oh...tuvalu was in the news last week...running out of water, it seems.

I'm going to have to hang out in So. California until I find another hideout.  Anything near there?
sandyv63
on 10/8/11 7:29 am - Naples, FL
kirmy
on 10/9/11 8:56 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Nothing beats history taking, patient examination...as lovely as a full body scan is for ****s and giggles actually speaking to a person gives you nearly all you need to know about what could be going on with a patient.   

Having said that in my best teachery voice my sisters cancer was found on a full body scan.  It has effectively saved her life I hope.

Be healthy ***** you owe me a steak and conversation.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.