Vites....immediately post op questions??

Julie B.
on 10/7/11 11:14 am - OH
Ok....so....Dr. Maguire's office gave me a list of vites that I'd need to take for life, needless to say its a lot (LOT!!) less then what Vitalady recommends. Their average cost a month is 20-ish bucks...I'm trying to figure out what I need to order monthly from Vitalady (forgive me, its Friday, and I'm beat from work lol) It's mind boggling to me! 

Soooo....just wondering what I need to get upfront for immediately post op....ill prolly buy on a monthly basis and am looking for a lazy way out and just ask if anyone else does it this way and how much of they buy of each thing monthly! .......I'll figure it out if I have to...but figured I'd just ask first....

Thanks! =) 
23 days and counting...

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

meredith_123
on 10/7/11 12:12 pm - Waterford, MI
Well to make it easy, I got a monthly pill organizer on Amazon
www.amazon.com/MedCenter-Monthly-Vitamin-Organizer-Large/dp/ B001DU7BMQ/ref=sr_1_4

Makes it really simple, just load it up once a month and take all the pills for each day. 
Most of the vites come in bottles with 100 or more, so you won't able to only buy a month at a time for many of them. 
I found that it was a little cheaper to search other sites for the vites and saved on shipping. 
My favorites are Amazon, allstarthealth.com & Swanson health products. 

the allstarhealth site has good deals on protein shakes & caries some vites had has a low flat rate for shipping. You can get samples from vitalady to see what you like. 

Oh & if you want some of the sugar free syrups, Vitalady has them on sale right now.  Her shipping for those was pretty good too.  It's based on how much you spend, not the weight.  One site I went to was only charging $4.50 per bottle, but then the shipping was $31 almost as much as my $38 order so I didn't buy it. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
gak
on 10/7/11 1:57 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Julie

You will not want to try vits for a couple of weeks. Start with the basics and work your way up as labs are checked. Dr Maguire is amazed at what I have to take to get my levels in proper order, we all cary with this even though we have the same doc. You will love Dr M... wonderful bedside manner and the nurses at the hospital are wonderful and cheerful ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Mdae
on 10/7/11 2:14 pm
i prefer the large apex medichest on amazon (those monthly ones look like a pita to load).  it's about 8 bucks and i got 6 of them, so i can do 6 weeks at a time. 

IMO, doing exactly a month at a time would be tough, as the amounts vary so much in the bottles, and so does the amount you take of each thing.

I try to stock up on say, 2 or 3 things every time I purchase (which is every few months), and rotate through what I'm buying 'extra' of.  So, one visit it will be iron and vitamin C and zinc.  The others, I'll buy at the same time, but just a little less of.  The next time, I'll buy extra B-complex, B12, and calcium.  I just choose whatever I'm lowest on at the time.  I basically try to build up until I have at least a few bottles of each thing, so that if any emergency should arise, I'm not screwed.

MajorMom
on 10/7/11 7:42 pm - VA
Here's where you can order your first vitamin starter packages from Vitalady: vitalady.com/vitanews/starter-packages/

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 3:38 am - Yorktown, VA
I find it easiest to order 3 months or so at a time from vitalady.  If you spend $300, then shipping is free.  (My last order I was almost there, so I threw in an extra bottle of A and an extra bottle D.  I always need those and it was cheaper than paying for the shipping and getting nothing extra.

I average close to $100 a month on my vites.
Twi light
on 10/8/11 4:02 am - NY
www.gblcreations.com/.../ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

that is the pdf with the vitalady schedule . I would start trying to get everything on this list and stockpile as much as you can of it so you have about 2-3 month supply of those things.

Buying on monthly basis is going to be hard and more expensive . Also some items you can get for cheap from Puritans Pride when they have their Bye X get Y free sales, sometimes you can buy 4 get 6 free for some items like zinc, copper, b12.

Immediatly post op you can try the chewables, for the first few weeks you may not be able to get the vitamins down. I was working my way up to a normal regiment until about 2 months, after the 2 month mark i was getting everything down without a problem.

You will not know your ability to tolerate vitamins until you have the surgery. As a back up you might want one of those bottles of chewable ADEKs and a chewable multi. First few weeks I think it is okay to do just chewables and slowly introduce one new pill, introduce sublinguals etc, and slowly work your way up to the complete vitalady regiment.

sandyv63
on 10/8/11 6:18 am - Naples, FL
How funny, I've been doing the same thing. I managed to find everything I need using just three online sources:

swansonvitamins.com
Amazon.com
luckyvitamin.com

I got a great deal on B9 (Folic Acid) and  Solgar dry A 25,000IU from Lucky Vitamin. I found dry D 50,000IU, K1 and Ferrous polysaccharide on Amazon and I also got my protein powder on Amazon (Nectar Fuzzy Navel & unflavored)  and the rest of the vites came from Swanson.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 7:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
My A went under 20 on Solgar's dry A. Ferrous polysaccharide would make me crap bricks.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/8/11 6:54 am - Tuvalu

The problem with the "multiple website" approach is the "multiple shipping costs." 

So, $4.95 here and $10.95 there and $5.00 at the next place AND each of those is for a month or two so I have to do it again...it was cheaper and less time consuming to make up $300 VitaLady orders a few times a year and have ALL of my money go to products and not various shipping charges.

It *IS* a little tricky at first to figure out how to get the calcium to run out at the same time the Vitamin D does...but once you get a handle on that, it is easier and cheaper to order from one source.  At least it was for me.