The DS explained....

Ding-E-Girl
on 10/6/11 9:59 am - MS
       Im a little confused on why a revision of the DS would cost more.    The sleeve is already there so what exactly does the surgeon do for the second part ?   Seems it would cost more to have the complete surgery done and cost less to just do the second part.    Im not sure exactly how the second part (intestine rerouting) is done even though I have read it 100 times.    Which step is the most risky  and why ?
airbender
on 10/6/11 10:42 am
if I understand you post, you have a VSG and you want to add the intestinal bypass part of the DS? The DS includes a restrictive (VSG) and malabsorption component (intestinal bypass)   Usually(not alwyas)  a revision is more expensive because people are revising from some sort of restrictive procedure (lap band, RNY, ERNY)  the pouch they have must be "fixed" either removing the lap band (making sure your structures are ok to proceed to the VSG part of the DS) or rebuilding the pouch due to RNY or ERNY etc.  the intestinal bypass (what you stated as "intestine rerouting") is basically about 60% of the SM is bypassed, 2 limbs are made, the lenghts are different depending on the length your surgeon makes.  Usually,  for a revision patient (lap band, RNY, ERNY) the VSG is the most dangerous part or the DS.   So essentially you want to add part 2 of the DS to your VSG, not sure what the cost of that is, but I have a feeling you won't save much, makes sense you should....good luck to you....
Emily F.
on 10/6/11 11:30 am
Your profile says you are a revision, what are you revising from?
Ding-E-Girl
on 10/6/11 11:58 am - MS
    I have had the sleeve done,  Emily.    Four years ago ....  worked ok at first,  but have since gained the 30 lbs I lost,   and gained more!    I had originally wanted to get the lap band until I came on here and read about the DS.    Now Im thinking the DS is the way to go,   but being that I am a single mom,  self pay,  and not involving my family in this ,   its been tough on me to make a decision!!  
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 10:40 pm - Lancaster, OH
What's your BMI now, Ding?
Elizabeth N.
on 10/6/11 11:50 am - Burlington County, NJ

It's still a very big operation. There's no reason to give a discount because your stomach isn't being removed. All the expenses involved are pretty much identical.

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 11:59 am
 Technically you are not a revision, so I would think you should ask the surgeon of your choice how much he charges for the "2nd part" of the DS. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 5:57 am
I had a revision too from the VSG.  Essentially, the anesthetic (plus doc) is the same and surgeon's time is about the same or even more if there is significant scar tissue from the first surgery that he or she has to wade through.

I would say the risks of the anesthetic and major surgery are the same, but I suppose there might be a slight difference in leak problems for either part. The VSG was 100x more painful for me than the 2nd part. Probably because I was at a better hospital with better pain management techniques? No telling.

Hugs,
Ratkity
PatXYZ
on 10/7/11 7:18 am
Dr. Gagner charges slightly less for the DS if you're already coming in with a VSG, but only if you don't need to be re-sleeved.