Paying it forward! (Or trying to!)

orangecrushed
on 10/6/11 8:27 pm - Triad, NC
My alarm clock plays the radio to wake me up in the mornings.  In an early morning brain fog, I vaguely hear my favorite morning show discussing WLS.  One of the DJs is thinking about getting a Lapband.  He is a rather large fella (def BMI over 50), and I just know that's a terrible option for him!  I jumped up and knew I had to do something about this.

So, I looked up his email address online and sent him to OH, DSfacts, Dr. Sudan @ Duke Weight Loss Center, and to the Big  Boy story they had on NPR recently.  I told him not all surgeries are created equally, and that he should really research each one.  I told him to be sure to find a surgeon that performs all surgeries (which, in NC, is only Dr. Sudan from what I can tell).

Anyway, hopefully he will at the very least look into each of the options.  He's a hilarious guy!  I hope he makes a solid choice.  Fingers crossed I'll hear back from him, and can answer some questions for him and point him to this board.

Thank you, everyone, for providing me with a wealth of info as a pre-op to feel comfortable enough to tell a complete stranger about the DS!  Hopefully this is just the first of many.
Imissthe80s
on 10/7/11 12:50 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
OC-

Wow, what an unusual opportunity to pay it forward, that is so cool.  Let's hope he does some research.  You never know when you're gonna get a chance to spread the WLS word.

Misty Costanzo
on 10/7/11 1:11 am - Bennington, NE
Hello, I had Dr Sudan perform my DS while he was still here in Nebraska.  I think he is the best, but unfortunately shortly after he did my surgery he decided to move to NC.  I am doing my f/u with a different surgeon but I question what he has told me for what I need to get for my f/u labs and vits.  I'm curious what vitamin regime Dr Sudan has you on and what labs he has you do

Great job on paying it forward, I think that is awesome and he would be very pleased with Dr Sudan.
larra
on 10/7/11 1:30 am - bay area, CA
Great job! And if he has the good sense to take your advice, he's in a position to pay it forward to a whole lot more people.

Larra
* Gail R *
on 10/7/11 3:22 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hopefully he takes your advice and then spreads the happy news of his success over the airwaves.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

orangecrushed
on 10/7/11 5:37 am - Triad, NC
Foggy- From what I can tell, the vitamin and lab follow up with Sudan is not very good.  It's left up to us to really push for things.  I've been educating my PCP by feeding him handouts and printing out Vitalady labs and vitamin schedules, so he'll understand what I need after the surgery.  Fortunately, he's been very understanding!

Gail- That's exactly what I'm hoping for! ;)
Misty Costanzo
on 10/7/11 12:22 pm - Bennington, NE
That is the same luck I'm having now.  My surgeon only recommends a few labs be checked and that I take optisource multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/7/11 5:58 am - Sedona, AZ
how great you had this opportunity! Let's hope he reallt researches it and does it and also lets people know about it on air. You might have done a wonderful thing for the MO in that area! Word needs to get out about this more!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh