OT - anybody have or know much about Meniere's syndrome?

newyorkbitch
on 10/6/11 10:41 am
That's my diagnosis.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 11:19 am, edited 10/6/11 11:19 am
We (my family) have a genetic propensity for it. My dad has it in both ears and his sister had it in one ear.  I have it in my right ear. It's annoying and things like allergies, an ear infection, slight dehydration or stress can trigger it. My 3 sisters don't have it.

I also have the constant sound of my carotid artery in my right ear. Annoying, but not life threatening.

Hope your episode doesn't last long.

Hugs,
Ratkity
LuckyLibrarian
on 10/6/11 11:38 am - Plumerville, AR
My grandmother has it. She is on daily medication, but still manages to land in the ER with dehydration from intense vomiting every few years. Take your prescribed Meds, and you should be fine. It is an annoyance, but it can be managed.
Kristen
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation." - Walter Cronkite

Julie R.
on 10/6/11 10:15 pm - Ludington, MI
I am sorry to hear this.   Meniere's is a *****  It is said that is the reason why Van Gogh cut off his ear!

It was thought for a while that I had it, and I went through some of the testing....now they just think I have a congenital predisposition for sensory neural hearing loss, because my loss is equal and bilateral.

I hope that your attacks are brief, mild and infrequent.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

newyorkbitch
on 10/6/11 11:13 pm
The attacks are awful. I started on steroids yesterday for 2 weeks and then we'll see. Will have an MRI just to be safe as well.

What daily meds do people take?

Blank Out
on 10/7/11 12:19 am
 I used to work with a gal who had it.  I remember her treatment was a potassium sparing diuretic.  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 1:50 am
I don't take daily meds, but have taken antivert (mezacline generic - think spelled right) during episodes and made sure to take care of allergies early.  I usually do well warding off attacks by avoid things that can trigger an episode (minimal boat trips, ear infections, tipping head down below heart). 

Please feel better soon!

Hugs,
Ratkity
newyorkbitch
on 10/8/11 12:44 am, edited 10/8/11 12:44 am
I got a scrip for antivert and I filled it, but haven't taken any yet.  I know it helps with the episodes,  but also makes you sleeepppppp.  I have an 8.5 month old child.  Ratkitty what has your experience with taking antivert been like?

And can you tell me more about triggers?  I made the assholic decision to go in the pool on Thursday with the baby (I had somebody with me) and after we got out of the pool - major attack.  Okay so that was stupid.  And I understand the boat thing,  and I guess I won't be scuba diving any time soon.  I get the ear infection thing - as it is,  I have had some bad ear infections in my life and I go on antibiotics at the first twinge. 

But tell me about the tipping head below heart thing....?  I am particularly concerned about being able to practice yoga... ?

The otoneurologist told me that the acute onset phase doesn't last too too long,  and that the episodes becomes less intense and less frequent.  And today is only day 3 of a 2-week course of steroids...

I read that some people take low doses of valium when they feel an attack coming on ?  Have you heard about that?
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 2:08 am, edited 10/8/11 2:08 am
I was diagnosed in the late 80s when the therapy was low salt and niacin (talk about red face flushes!!). Never worked.

I swim and never have had an episode because of it (but keep an eye on potential swimmer's ear - use 50-50 peroxide and rubbing alcohol in the ear for prevention). My aunt used to not be able to tell up from down in the water, but I have no problems with that at all.  Never had trouble with snorkling either and Dad had his rescue scuba cert and did that without problems, btw.

A person has both ears for balance and both eyes to mantain balance. Losing one isn't a big deal and exercising (especially yoga) will help in the eye/body spacial balancing strength.  Yoga does not do rapid bends of the head below the waist from what limited knowledge I have of it. Sorry I wasn't clear about the head below heart thing.. I was referring to rapid head changes that can trigger an episode if you are coming off an acute phase or newly diagnosed.

I've never used valium for an episode.  I have used phenergan as an anti-nausea during episodes and it's in the same class as the antivert - it's an antihistamine (why it makes you sleepy). The sleep effect wears off after a few doses. Antihistamines are cool things, huh (geek scientist observation)?

You'll be chasing that 8.5mo baby soon enough! Hang in there.

Hugs,
Ratkity