Self Pay prices in the US

Ding-E-Girl
on 10/5/11 11:11 am - MS
    Thats "Dr Aceves"     I said it wrong  ....  LOL
airbender
on 10/5/11 11:59 am

you will probably save about 10k and up going to Mexico, Brazil, Canada, or Spain for the DS, with the DS vetted surgeons.  that is a decision you will have to make and no one can make if for you, for some traveling out of the country for surgery even to save 20K is not an option and stay in the states.  Whatever you do, make sure you go to a vetted surgeon.  it really is not a question of who is good, all the surgeons in those countries are good, it comes down to what you are comfortable with.  good luck with your journey

Ding-E-Girl
on 10/5/11 12:19 pm - MS
     What exactly is a "Vetted" surgeon.    How does one become vetted??     Sorry to sound so dumb but this is all kinda new to me !!   
no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 11:46 pm - Jackson, MI
A vetted surgeon is a surgeon that has received the proper training (with a vetted surgeon) and preformed a certain number of DS procedures.  There are lots of bariatric surgeons but a limited number of vetted surgeons.  Using a non-vetted surgeon puts you at increased risk for serious complications and even death.  The surgeon's listed on DS facts are vetted surgeons.  

http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.html
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Kerry J.
on 10/5/11 12:06 pm - Santa Clara, UT
You might try Dr. Simper in SLC Ut. Seems like his self pay price is $20k, but I'm not sure if that's current.

Kerry
Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 12:30 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ, Dr. Daryl Stewart in TX, Dr Paul Kemmeter in MI.

sandyv63
on 10/5/11 12:43 pm - Naples, FL
August10
on 10/5/11 1:11 pm - LA
On October 5, 2011 at 7:43 PM Pacific Time, sandyv63 wrote:
http://verdugohillshospital.org/hospserv_bar.asp

I found this online.
 This.  I was at this hospital with Dr. Keshishian for my DS.  He is an amazing surgeon.
PatXYZ
on 10/5/11 12:47 pm
Montreal is a lovely city to visit and Dr. Gagner charges $18500 in Canadian Dollars for lap DS, a bit less than the cheapest American surgeons, but then you have to consider travel costs.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/5/11 3:11 pm, edited 10/5/11 3:12 pm
Another thing to consider if you get surgery outside of the USA is if your insurance will cover any complications arising from surgery when abroad (even if they don't cover the WLS itself).

I self-paid due to an exclusion, but opted to have my surgery in the USA for several reasons. One of which was that my insurance- while it would not cover WLS- would cover complications if anything went wrong afterward but ONLY in the United States. The second I crossed that border, all bets were off and I would have had to purchase additional health insurance to cover that gap. 

Sometimes you have to look at the whole gestalt and think about just how much you'd be saving by going to Mexico between travel expenses for 2 people (I'm assuming you're not going alone), arranging for aftercare in the USA with another doctor if your surgeon doesn't provide it via long distance, the possiblility of an extended stay due to complications, and the possibility of needing to purchase additional insurance for medical tourism.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com