Im confused! Help!

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 2:50 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Okay so I really wanted DS!!! BUT I can't travel (single mom). My surgeon is very very skilled and has done DS surgery but reading the threads and also finding out about a young lady in AZ with a similar user name as mine passing away from DS complications with a non-skilled surgeon has me scared! I really don't want bypass! I coukd do the sleeve but I need malabsorption. Im stuck!!! I need advice from the vets! Is their a custom option? My surgeon is a TOP bariatric surgeon and has done over 4,000 weight loss surgeries with no deaths. Would it be impossible to ask for a sleeve with malabsorption or am I in crazy lala land?
calendargirl
on 10/5/11 2:55 pm - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to trying it with your surgeon.
Respectfully.... No chance in (you know where).
Reach deep for some childcare options. 
Go to California.  Keshishian or Rabkin. 
They're close.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 3:30 pm - AL
You can figure out how to travel for the surgery you need.  That is where you need to spend your effort.  Not in trying to make a surgeon who can't do a DS do a DS.

Figure out the childcare and travel.  I'm rooting for you!!

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 3:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
My mom lives in SC and u have a sister attending school in Conyers, GA. I'm looking to every option I can. I guess I could start looking in those states instead of trying to go at this thing alone in AZ.
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 3:45 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I have*
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 12:07 am - Saint Louis, MO
Anyone know Dr Maynard?  I'm not familiar with him, but he's on DSFActs.com and in Conyers, GA.

I had to travel for my surgery.  I ended up going twice before the actual surgery, once for the seminar and again for preop testing.  Lots of other doctors will work with you when you're long distance to reduce your number of trips there.

Donald Maynard, MD
Email: [email protected]
Surgical Associates of Metro Atlanta
1612-B Milstead Rd NE.
Conyers, GA 30012
Phone: 770-602-1292
Fax: 770-602-1296
Email: [email protected]

beemerbeeper
on 10/6/11 12:50 am - AL
I've never seen a Maynard DSer (not to say there aren't some).  But Smith is in the Atlanta area too.

~Becky

twodelight
on 10/6/11 6:33 am - Atlanta, GA
Dr. Maynard did my surgery and he is GREAT!!!!  I'm one year post op and have lost 133lbs.
beemerbeeper
on 10/6/11 6:41 am - AL
Good to hear.  You should PM the original poster who is looking for a way to get the DS near Atlanta.  Congrats on your success!!

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 1:35 am - San Jose, CA

I've communicated with a couple of UNhappy Maynard patients.  But nobody in the last couple of years - I'm not even sure he is still in practice, and I would want to investigate his licensing and malpractice claims status.

I'm not crazy about Smith's practice either, but I'd go with him rather than Maynard, if I had to have surgery in that region.  And before doing that, I'd try to get help from friends or family to accompany me and provide childcare so I could go to Rabkin or Keshishian in CA.