How much do you eat at one sitting?

rubytica
on 10/5/11 8:57 am - GA
Hello:

I have been told NEVER to exceed 1 cup of food at one sitting.  Is that true?  At 3 months out I am suppose to only eat 3/4 of a cup.  Do you measure what you eat or just eye ball it?

I am just curious since I know that most of the guidelines I have been given are for another surgery.

Thanks
Ruby
Yehuda G.
on 10/5/11 9:09 am
Everyone does things differently, so I can only tell you my opinion.

We have the DS. This means that we can actually eat. Rather than focusing on the exact volume of our meals, we need to focus on protein, fats and veggies first. We all have different levels of restriction, which changes over time anyways, so it is impossible to say exactly what your portions should be as it is different from one person to the next.

For example, I have little to no restriction, so 3/4 of a cup isn't even an appetizer for me. When I sit down to eat, I make sure there's a big hunk of protein and side of veggies on my plate. If I have room I will have some carbs. I do not ever measure anything. I have just had to train myself to eat relatively low carb and listen to my body. When I feel satisfied, whether it be after 1 cup or 10 cups of food, I stop.

I hope that helps

airbender
on 10/5/11 9:23 am

I have never measured my food, my wwatcher days are gone....   Today I have some days that there is not enough food around for me, like I feel like I eat sooo much, other days I eat very little. there are many many meals I eat less than 3/4 cup, especially for breakfast, but there are some meals, usually dinner that I eat more than 1 cup,  I am a person who is not a typical DSer and eat less than the "typical" DS er  posting  on this overall. 

Kerry J.
on 10/5/11 9:38 am - Santa Clara, UT
I don't really measure how much I eat at a sitting, but it's pretty much like a normal person would eat.

If I'm eating out at say Texas Roadhouse, I'll order a 12 oz Sirloin with a salad and a baked potato. I get extra 1000 island dressing for the salad and extra sour cream and butter for the baked potato. I'll usually eat about 2/3 of the steak, 1/2 the baked tater and all the salad. Then I'll finish off the steak and tater later that evening before I go to bed.

Kerry 
elixir
on 10/5/11 9:59 am - MI
I don't ever measure my food. I eat until I'm full. It depends on what I'm eating when it comes to how much food will fill me up. I can eat more crab legs than I can steak. Beef is really dense and fills me up pretty quick, however some days I can eat half a strip steak and some days I can only eat a few bites. It's a fine line for me between being full and being stuffed. Stuffed is an uncomfortable feeling and it's often only a one bite difference. I'm getting better at not crossing that line though.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

rubytica
on 10/5/11 10:30 am - GA
 Thank you all for your replies; it really helps.  I had my 3 months follow up appt. and the Dr. asked me how much I was eating on a sitting and when I told him maybe a cup or maybe more he said I should only eat 3/4 of a cup but I feel I can eat more than that in soft protein like salmon.

Thanks again
Ruby
beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 12:34 pm - AL
They also order incomplete labs and give terrible vitamin advice.  If you will listen to the vets here you will do 100% better than listening to them.

I never went back for follow-ups with him and I'm glad now that I didn't.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 1:00 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Your surgeon is not known for the quality or accuracy of anything about the DS except doing a good job on the surgery.

The only way I could possibly get in my protein even five years out is to graze pretty much all day. Heck, the bedtime snack of cheese and olives that I'm having right now is considerably more than a cup by volume.

Julie R.
on 10/5/11 10:51 am - Ludington, MI
 Well, I'm five years out, and I just slowly ate three enchiladas.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 12:32 pm
We were treated to dinner tonight.  I had 3 cheese sticks (fancy soft cheese rolled up in phyllo dough) with dipping sauce, about a half cup of bread croutons dipped in two different cheese fondues (one spinach artichoke, the other gouda), an 8 oz filet medium rare with a peppercorn sauce, sauteed spinach, loaded mashed potatoes, and 2 glasses of wine.  For dessert we had graham crackers for dipping in a bananas foster fondue and a Snickers fondue.  Ended the night with 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream.  It was a good food day!