The DS Test: Can You Handle It?

Imissthe80s
on 10/5/11 5:51 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Currently, there's a thread on the Main Board that is having fun asking questions for a young lady who's seeking the RNY as a way of testing her RNY Knowledge.  Well, I've been curious for a while concerning what questions/answers a pre-op should absolutely be made aware of before taking the DS plunge; there was even a "DS Test" thread that I ran into a couple of months ago when searching the DS Board for something else and I can't find it now that I'm actually looking for it.  Maybe one of you will know the thread I'm talking about and will post a link. 

Anyway, I'm not looking to be spoon fed (unless you have some bacon and cheese quiche for me) DS knowledge, but I'm simply looking for critical questions or concerns one ought to know inside and out before embarking upon the DS.  I thought this might be helpful to us pre-opers.  Thanks in advance everyone!

Yehuda G.
on 10/5/11 6:00 am
Yehuda G.
on 10/5/11 6:40 am
I am just messing about this. I just remember someone saying something about preopers taking an IQ test as part of the psych eval for getting the DS.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 11:40 am

I'm not sure that's such a bad idea!

There's so much about nutrition that you MUST understand in order to be successful *and* healthy with the DS.

I happen to think the average DSer is is above average, when it comes to intelligence.
ann M.
on 10/5/11 11:29 pm - Northern, VA
 ^*LIKE!

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 6:35 am - Jackson, MI
I do remember the thread your talking about, but I'm not sure where to find it either...even when I do a search.  However I did find a thread posted by Kirmy, that I  and feel is worth sharing again.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4119875/Infamous-Ds-m isinformation/

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

clancyrose
on 10/5/11 8:04 am - Montgomeryville, PA
I also was told I will have a test at the Dr office on my last Dr visit prior to surgery...any of this woul also be of help for those Abington folks...they changed my date from Nov 21 to the 17th...woohoo..scared, excited,emotional..the whole enchilada going on here...cry over nothing lately..anyone else have this pr-op?I got my labs and my D was low(24) so I am getting that in and asked for copy of all my labs...VitaLady I may need help soon..lol GOOD LUCK DES..
Imissthe80s
on 10/6/11 12:37 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Good luck to you too, Clancy Rose.  Nov. 17th is just around the corner.  I'm sure you are scared and excited all at the same time, your emotions are in overdrive right now.

dustydeer
on 10/5/11 9:02 pm
I know there was one thread where some poor soul is struggling post DS who doesn't eat meat or eggs that should be included in the exclusions.

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 11:35 pm - Jackson, MI
The test you take as a pre-op during your psychological evaluation, that many insurance companies require is not an IQ test.  It is more of a personality test and is used to determine how successful a candidate (or compliant) you will be for bariatric surgery.   The test consists of a series of questions asking how strongly you feel "X" is true to you.   Example of the questions would be:  

I often avoid social situations.
I often wake up to eat in the middle of the night.
I can't get through the day without a drink.
Food comforts me.
I eat when I am depressed. 

Answers could be:

Very true
Often true
Seldom true
Not true at all
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"