Officially Dumb Vitamin Question

Its a Secret
on 10/5/11 2:50 am, edited 1/24/12 8:40 pm
Removed because OH has chosen to share my as well as others posts, uploaded pictures, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

Janet P.
on 10/5/11 2:57 am
It's good to have a well balanced diet but after the DS there is no way you can get enough nutrients from food alone. You physically can't eat enough food. It's hard to imagine pre-DS unless you've witnessed it first-hand. For the first few months you can only eat very small amounts of food at any one time and protein always wins. That's why alot of people do protein supplements (shakes) early out because that's the only way to get the amount of protein we need post surgery. I did shakes for probably the first 6 months and then when I felt comfortable that I could get 100+ grams of protein from food, I stopped the shakes. Some people continue to drink shakes for years.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Its a Secret
on 10/5/11 3:08 am, edited 1/24/12 8:40 pm
Removed because OH has chosen to share my as well as others posts, uploaded pictures, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

jodic1966
on 10/5/11 3:13 am
 I'm only two weeks out from surgery and I wish I had listened to the vets about the protein powder. I have three big tubs that I liked before surgery and now cannot even smell without wanting to heave. I would wait until after surgery and then order a bunch of samples from somebody like vitalady to see what your body will tolerate. I know how you feel though wanting to have all your ducks in a row to be ready for the huge changes you are about to undergo. Good luck  :D

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

Its a Secret
on 10/5/11 3:18 am, edited 1/24/12 8:40 pm

jodic1966
on 10/5/11 3:43 am
 Hehehe..I don't know why it effect tastebuds but it does. I almost said the same thing about the control issue. This is life changing stuff we are doing and to feel like we have just a semblance of control is very gratifying. You are right..its a head thing  ;D

Anyway I actually feel pretty good..I'm *hungry* and my doctor requires liquids for the first three weeks so I am white knuckling it until Monday when I go for my checkup. I almost strangled my husband today when he brought a huge bowl of tomato soup, a hunk of french bread and bag of Lays potato chips into the room and proceeded to enjoy them all very much. ROFL  I know by the time I'm cleared for real food I'll be sick of mushies but right now I would just about kill somebody for some refried beans!!!

You'll get here soon  :D

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 4:26 am - Jackson, MI
I was (still am) the same way.  When you are no longer on mushies look for recipes you can use your protein powder in.  I make my own protein bars, cookies, breads, etc. and it don't go to waste.

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Janet P.
on 10/5/11 5:44 am
On October 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM Pacific Time, hoosiermoma wrote:
I wasn't saying all vitamins...basically I think I'm asking if it adds to the mix...

I ate about 2 cups of steamed spinich last night and probably 1/4 cup of garlic in my fritatta this morning (boy am I glad I'm not kissing anyone today).  It just got me to thinking...

I have two giant containers of protein powder already..been trying different recipes and want to order the unjury chicken soup flavor to see if it's edible..I'm getting as prepared as I can for the big changes coming my way...I also know that no matter how well thought or prepared I think I am, there are things that I won't be prepared for...dang!

Thanks!
I understand that you meant not all vitamins. Just using spinach as an example. I love vegetables but even at almost 9 years post-op I can only eat limited amounts of vegetables. I have a hard time with spinach - just doesn't digest well. I eat it periodically (love Chicken Out's Creamed Spinach). If you at 2 cups of spinach you wouldn't have any room for anything else.

There are just so many things you can prepare for. Investing alot of money in protein supplements could end up being a waste. Your tastes will change -- for me personally I couldn't stand any of the Unjury products. Even if I liked something before surgery there's no guarantee you'll like it afterwards.

I think I did one of the whey chocolate supplements. They were tolerable and I used them only as long as I needed to. I think some of them have improved so maybe there are better ones on the market now.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 9:13 am
 There is no way you are going to be able to eat 2 cups of spinach even a year or 2 out. I love spinach and can eat probably about 1/2 cup or so AFTER I've eaten my protein, and I'm over 2 years out. 
It would be nice if you could eat enough to make up the vitamin requirement, but it's just not possible.
So, when you have surgery and you are finally eating again just cook your meats and vegetable in the garlic that you like and have it with a few bites of spinach.
beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 3:11 am - AL
I would wait a good long time before trying spinach and garlic.  And then go easy, start small, and make sure you are going to be home for the next 12-24 hours after you try it.

~Becky