When to start worrying about carbs?

sbp7
on 10/5/11 12:58 am - Munster, IN
I avoided sugar like the plague and still do for the most part. I lived on at least 2 liters of Crystal Light per day for the first 8 months. Still to this day, I have not had a single sugared beverage. I cannot imagine the gas it would give me.

Sugar and Carbs are the enemy. They make me feel gassy, bloated and would have significantly slowed my weight loss!
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 1:36 am - Burlington County, NJ
I never did "worry" about carb content. I focused on eating my protein in real food, and did not eat anything carby until I had eaten a full serving of protein. Then I went to veggies. At a month out it was a little bit of cooked veggie....carrots, I think maybe a bit of broccoli or cauliflower, green beans (did NOT work for me), zucchini without the skin... That was plenty.

Potatoes are bloat monsters for a lot of people.

It's time for you to knock off the carby beverages for sure. It's time to look at foods with PROTEIN first. Try ONE new food and see how it sits. Then try it a second time. Only THEN add another food. That way you'll know what bugs you or not.

And STAY OFF THE SCALE FERGAWDSAKE!!!!! You aren't even healed from surgery yet. This is NOT weight loss monitoring time. It's HEALING time.

kramer5
on 10/5/11 2:14 am - Washington, KS
I've been seeing my Dr. weekly for my incisions and they weigh me everytime.  After this week I shouldn't have to see them for another 2 weeks and then we should be good to go. 

My incisions are looking and feeling great since starting the antibiotic for staph.  I'm feeling pretty hopeful.  I also think that getting in more protein has helped with the healing process.

I haven't started by vitamins yet because I'm scared to take so many when my stomach doesn't seem to have much room yet.

Any suggestions on how to begin?  Which ones to start with, etc?

Dawn

beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 3:20 am - AL
Dawn,

I'm now officially concerned.

You are drinking liquid carbs and taking no vitamins at a month out from surgery.  This is just not a good start.

Please start reading more threads here on the DS forum and try to get "with the program."

Have you read this group of threads and bookmarks: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/

And exactly how much protein do you get EVERY day?

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 3:43 am - Burlington County, NJ
Start them one at a time. Start with a multi. If that sits well, take two multis, one twice a day.

Then add a bit of calcium, one pill at a time. You can let the pills fall apart in a little water and take them that way.

Then just keep adding bit by bit. It's likely to take a couple of months to build up to a full schedule. Get the D in there early, too.

goodkel
on 10/5/11 7:20 am
As soon as your surgeon has said it is safe to move beyond mushies, there's no need for carbs.

And you should never have picked up a non-sugar-free drink to begin with. Stop them immediately.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

kramer5
on 10/5/11 7:33 am - Washington, KS
Today I've done minimal carbs (just what's in my yogurt), been drinking hot tea and Crystal Light, and I started my vitamins.

Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it!!!
Dawn

goodkel
on 10/5/11 12:31 pm
Good job!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

pktwatch
on 10/5/11 1:32 pm
I can't imagine eating a cup of soup at one month out. I am 2 weeks out today and eating one ounce of protein and then another ounce of vegs or fruit. I haven't tried eating any more than that and somtimes the 2oz feels like it's to much AND I was a big eater before the DS!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Twi light
on 10/5/11 1:41 pm - NY
On October 5, 2011 at 8:32 PM Pacific Time, pk****ch wrote:
I can't imagine eating a cup of soup at one month out. I am 2 weeks out today and eating one ounce of protein and then another ounce of vegs or fruit. I haven't tried eating any more than that and somtimes the 2oz feels like it's to much AND I was a big eater before the DS!
It would be better for you and help you heal faster if instead of eating another ounce of veg or fruit you ate another ounce of protein. Protein helps you heal, if you have space, eat protein.