When to start worrying about carbs?

kramer5
on 10/4/11 7:04 am - Washington, KS
I'm 4 weeks out today and I haven't been worried about carb intake because I've been on mushies and a lot of them have been carbs (mashed potatoes, potato soup, etc.).  I've also been drinking Gatorade or Powerade which has quite a bit of carbs.  I have started to add more solid foods to my diet and can probably do away with most of the carby items but my question is:  Do I need to worry about that right now?

I will say that Sunday night I had a cup of potato soup, then again yesterday afternoon, and again last night and I woke up around 4am with horrible gas and bloating.  I think it was due to too many carbs.  I also gained a pound over this last week but I'm not too worried about that since I have been eating more.

At what point did you really start concerning yourself with the nutritional content (beyond protein) of the foods you were eating as opposed to just getting in food?
Dawn

Kathleen F.
on 10/4/11 7:09 am
The number one rule I was given after surgery was no sugar and no fruit. Powerade and Gatorade has too much simple sugars in it. You can try the sugar free versions of them though. I would worry less about the potatoes, but if it is giving you gas and bloating, I would eliminate it from your diet. At this point, if you can handle it, I would recommend leaning towards getting in your protein through meat, cheese and eggs and eating less carby foods. You need all your stomach space for getting in your required amount of protein right now.
* Gail R *
on 10/4/11 7:22 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I followed the vets advice and stayed clear of carbs right off the bat until I lost all the weight I wanted. During that time I limited myself to under 50 carbs most of the time. I did splurge occasionally for special dinners, etc. Carbs were most toxic to me early on as they caused discomfort.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

elixir
on 10/4/11 7:26 am - MI
I was told to avoid sugar like the plague after surgery. I stocked up on Powerade Zero. I'd stop drinking Gatorade and regular Powerade and switch to sugar-free. The sooner you drop the carbs the better. I don't have a problem with potatoes and will occasionally eat loaded potato skins. If you're getting bloated it's probably the sugar. I can't drink milk because of the sugar content, but I'm fine with half and half and plain Greek yogurt so I'm not lactose intolerant. The sugar in the milk bloats me and gives me the worst gas ever, shortly followed by the runs.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

kramer5
on 10/4/11 7:34 am - Washington, KS
I never even thought about the sugar being the culprit for my gas and bloating and I've been drinking quite of bit of Powerade lately.  I'm actually going to switch to Crystal Light (assuming that's ok...do you guys drink that without any problems?).

Also, do you think the sugar (or carbs) could be causing me to have more heartburn than I was at first?  I figured it was because I was adding in more real foods but now I wonder.  I was taking only one of the acid blockers a day but now I'm needing at least 2 and sometimes 3.  I almost have that stuck feeling that I would get with the band, if that makes sense (even when I don't eat too much, sometimes when I just start eating, even something like yogurt or soup).

Thanks for all the help,
Dawn

elixir
on 10/4/11 7:49 am - MI
 I couldn't drink Crystal Light after surgery. The aspartame gave me stomach issues. I bought True Lemon lemonade packets instead. I also drink caffeine free iced green tea with a packet of regular True Lemon. You could add a half packet of Truvia for sweetness, but I prefer mine unsweetened. I still stock up on Powerade Zero when it's on sale. I also have some packets of sugar-free Propel in the cupboard. For the most part I drink a lot of water. I have a water purifier so I keep water in re-usable bottles stocked in the fridge at all times. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Kathleen F.
on 10/4/11 7:56 am

Crystal Light should be okay. A lot of people rely on to help them get all their fluids in.

I don't know that sugar would cause more heartburn. Carbs can cause more bloating and gas though. I would also avoid sugar alcohols right now too as they can exacerbate any bowel issues you might be having. 

Having never had the band I can't relate to a "stuck" feeling. However, you might just be having a small stomach day and it is just over full and there just isn't much give or stretch to your stomach anymore. I still get that if I eat too much too fast. Chances are your stomach is still somewhat swollen and still recovering from surgery. When the swelling goes down you will suddenly be able to eat more. Don't panic when that happens!

Jolly Rancher
on 10/4/11 11:22 am
FWIW - I'm no band patient, but I understand the "stuck" feeling complety. I know many DSers don't have to deal with this, but I still have to chew, chew, chew to oblivion, which takes me a much longer time to eat than normies. Even though I can eat a fair amount.

As far as the sugar. It did not bother me at first. Neither did carbs, but I was consuming so little. I would suggest if you like the gatorade and powerade to switch to the G2 and powerade zero. They are very good!!!!

I get the stuck feeling quite a bit, more than I'd like......hopefully your sleeve will mature past this.

Best of luck!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/11 1:37 am - Burlington County, NJ
You might have a little scar tissue in the way, or maybe a grumpy esophagus. Another possibility is a hiatal hernia.

newyorkbitch
on 10/4/11 11:48 pm
What acid blocker are you taking?