Early "emergency" labs?

Jennifer D.
on 10/4/11 3:34 am
I have an appointment with my doctor but not until next Tuesday. I would like the office to order labs today so I can have them done and have the results before the end of the week. I do have Vitalady's list of labs but I won't ask for all of them now. What should I ask to have done this week to address my extreme fatigue and weakness (which has only begun in the past 2 -3 weeks...)?
Thanks!
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
beemerbeeper
on 10/4/11 4:58 am - AL
Labs are so interdependent.  Unless someone comes along and says differently I don't see why you shouldn't get them all done.  When is the last time you had them all done?

~Becky

Jennifer D.
on 10/4/11 7:58 am
Hi Becky
I had a ton of labs done in August but not the whole list from vitalady. At 3 months out I will have all the labs done but I don't know if my doctor will order them now and again in another 6 weeks. I can try : )
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
beemerbeeper
on 10/4/11 8:03 am - AL
If you got them now you wouldn't need them all again in 6 weeks.  You could just re-do any that were deficient in 6 weeks.

But if you are only a month out it is normal to feel like crap.  Especially if you might be dehydrated.

~Becky

KarenFlorida
on 10/4/11 8:11 am, edited 10/4/11 8:12 am - Orlando, FL
Jennifer:

I would say that the bare minimum would be a comprehensive chemistry panel (to check your electrolytes, protein, and liver functions), as well as a CBC to check for anemia or infection of some sort, also add thyroid testing if you have a history of thyroid issues.

As Becky said, it's not a bad idea to try to get them to order all of the vitamin levels, iron, PTH, etc just to get it all done at once and get it over with.

I hope you feel better soon

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Jennifer D.
on 10/4/11 12:19 pm
Thanks ladies, tomorrow I will fax my doctor the entire sheet of labs and see what he says. I know doctor Gagner will want to see them again at 3 months. I will just ask for as much as possible.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/4/11 1:22 pm
 It may not be a bad idea to get them all now. It will give you a bit of a baseline for the future, and make it easier to watch for trends, before things actually have an opportunity got get out of range.
Jennifer D.
on 10/4/11 1:30 pm
Thanks, I am going to see what I can get away with. Being in Ontario, OHIP pays for the labs but I think they are getting annoyed at me, and may soon deny me. I have had a ton of labs, 7 times since last October 2010. I have actually charted the last 2 prior to surgery using excel (strategy I have learned from the vets ). I didn't see vitamin levels though, will have to be sure to ask about that.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Kayla B.
on 10/4/11 1:44 pm - Austin, TX
Feeling that bad so early out, I'd probably guess it's something that could be found in a comprehensive metabolic panel.  And in the US that lab comes back fast.  Could be potassium, or just dehydration.  Rapid weight loss.  Inadequate protein.  I guess there are some B vites that could be to blame too.

Dehydration would probably be my first guess.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Jennifer D.
on 10/5/11 5:52 am
Thanks Kayla, do you think a banana every other day would help with potassium?
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG