Pre Op Questions

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 6:10 am - ewing, NJ

I am scheduled for my revision on next Wednesday. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and they had me buy $250.00 worth of protein shakes that I should be drinking 2 weeks before surgery. The nurse insisted that they made me aware of this. This was absolutely the first time ever hearing of such a thing. If I was to start them two weeks before will this effect me being that I have only a week before surgery? The dr said to drink them to make your liver shrink?? Never heard of such a thing....Any of you guys have to do this before surgery????

Larissa P.
on 10/5/11 6:19 am, edited 10/5/11 6:19 am - Denton, TX
It varies by surgeon preference. Some make you diet for weeks, some have you go liquid only for a week or so, some make you do a bowel cleanse 24 hours before, some don't make you do anything, let you eat right up to the night before surgery!

I would call the surgeon and ask what he wants you to do for the next week. But no way this should stop you or make you re-schedule. Also, that $250 of protein shakes sounds aweful scammy/money making to me. You should be able to buy your own protein.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 6:31 am - ewing, NJ
Larissa , That was my thoughts on that the shakes that they were pretty much a money making thing. Because if that was the case they would have assured that I received the shakes for 2 entire weeks vs just 1. I did speak to the surgeon he told me to start the shakes and I would probably lose a few pounds before surgey and that it would help to shrink my liver!!! smh i just feel like I have been scammed!!!!!
Elizabeth N.
on 10/6/11 2:53 am - Burlington County, NJ
That $250 covers a LIFETIME of support system, including the marvelous holiday party Leslie mentioned below. Go look up online what Champion meal replacements cost. You have not been scammed. You have perhaps experienced an oversight, but that's it.

I first saw Dr. Greenbaum over five years ago and that's what they were charging then as well. I invite you to find any other service that has not increased in price in the past five years.

ambermay
on 10/5/11 7:34 am
I had to do a 9 day pre op liquid diet.  Consisted of protein shakes and yogurt.  The protein for the shakes were $75.  Yours seems pricey.  But I guess it does shrink the liver and make it easier for the surgeon to do his job. 

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

leslieanne729
on 10/6/11 12:17 am
Dr Greenbaum has been charging $250.00 for the shakes. This money also give you access to all of his aftercare meetings. Years ago he was charging $1500.00. Dr G is very generous every year he throws a Holiday party at a very nice restaurant with open bar and has even had a band or a DJ at this event. he is not a nickel & dime person
Leslie
RNY 2002 (regained everything)   Revised to DS 2007
5'8"  SW 246 - GW 150 - LW 143 - CW-148
Follow Your Dreams.... & Hold On To Them !!  

Angel to Karen W
Angel to MIssy
Elizabeth N.
on 10/6/11 2:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
This is Dr. Greenbaum's standard practice. It is indeed in their literature and is mentioned routinely in their education program. It's unusual for you to only hear this a week beforehand.

There are a number of surgeons who do it this way and there are a number who don't. Dr. G. feels strongly that it's beneficial. It's not much of a moneymaker for them. Go price these suckers anywhere online.

I did not have to do a severe diet like this with my surgeon. He requested only that I make a strong, honest effort to lose several pounds. I adhered to a pretty strict regimen for about six weeks and lost 15 pounds or so. He was happy with that.

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 3:00 am - ewing, NJ

Thanks but like I said I wasnt made aware of it before hand. I just didnt understand the concept of purchasing them if I only had a week to use them. I also was not awareof everything the $250.00 includeded. It jjust seemed pricey and the woman at the front desk couldn't tell me what exactly it included....btw Dr. G doesnt seem like a nickel and dime type of person....thanks for your info!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/6/11 3:01 am - Tuvalu
On October 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM Pacific Time, waitingtolose wrote:

I am scheduled for my revision on next Wednesday. I went to see my surgeon yesterday and they had me buy $250.00 worth of protein shakes that I should be drinking 2 weeks before surgery. The nurse insisted that they made me aware of this. This was absolutely the first time ever hearing of such a thing. If I was to start them two weeks before will this effect me being that I have only a week before surgery? The dr said to drink them to make your liver shrink?? Never heard of such a thing....Any of you guys have to do this before surgery????

When you write:  "The dr said to drink them to make your liver shrink?? Never heard of such a thing...." it tells me that you really haven't done very much homework about the MASSIVE surgery you are about to have. and that you need to start reading up on the subject as much as you can before surgery.

If you REALLY didn't know that many doctors--and my sister is on this diet right now for a sleeve--want patients on a liver-shinking diet pre-op, then you really have a LOT of surprises in store.  You need to get informed.

NoMore B.
on 10/6/11 8:59 am
 Yes, lots of surgeons require you to do a pre-op liquid diet to shrink your liver before surgery.  It makes the surgery easier for them, and safer for you.  My surgeon requires it for people >300 lbs, but that totally varies by surgeon.

The $250 for protein shakes is absurd, unless as someone said you get something else for that, like support.  That totally varies by practice from free to thousands of dollars.  The protein shakes alone are not that expensive.  I buy a jug of Champion protein powder for about $30 - $35 and it lasts me more than a month (of course I eat regular food, too, but you get the idea).

All that being said, get ready for what you're signing up for.  If the $250 dollars scares you, think about your vitamins, lab, and protein requirements for the rest of your life.  The DS life is not cheap so be prepared.