Anyone have a subscription to Consumer Reports?

J G.
on 10/3/11 3:58 pm, edited 10/3/11 3:59 pm
This article
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-5-most-important-s upplements-2572457/

says that Consumer Reports found that Centrums weren't great.  I was surprised and wondered which multis it did recommend?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/3/11 5:05 pm
 I have the online subscription, and I can't find that they have done any comparisons on what milti's are best, but they have had articles where they say they think most vitamins are a waste of time, as studies haven't backed up some assumed health benefits. There were exceptions, like vitamin D, but that's probably because most people are actually low on that, and there's a difference between supplementing vitamins you're body is getting enough of, and supplementing an actual deficiency.

I'll take another look and see if I'm missing one of their studies, but based on the stuff I've just pulled up, they seem fairly anti-supplement, regardless of brand.

Janet P.
on 10/3/11 8:38 pm
I've got one and just did some browsing. It's more an article and the results of their annual membership survey. They mention that multivitamins in general are only needed by those who can't get all their nutrients from food or other issues (pregnancy, calorie restriction, etc.). They also say that multivitamins with "add ons" aren't necessary or ones that are geared toward a specific group (men, women, etc.).

I'm using Centrum regular as part of my everyday vitamin routine and will continue to do so.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

calendargirl
on 10/4/11 1:53 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

They have a brief podcast here:
http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/RtoC-Audio/37-2010/CR06 -091310.mp3

They rank Costco's Kirkland Signature vitamins for adults, seniors, and kids their #1 choice for best benefit to cost ratio.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%