Abdominal Swelling

lwoznick
on 10/3/11 11:08 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi All,

I had my revision surgery just about three weeks ago and overall things have been going very well. I'm able to get 80 plus grams of protein in daily and am getting my fluids and vites in without a problem. I've been walking daily and the post surgical pain continues to get better each day. My question is when does the abdominal swelling subside. I believe it's coming from my post surgical recovery, but I'm not certain. I do bloat up more after eating...doesn't matter what it is. But even when I don't eat, I'm still so swollen, particularly in my upper abdomen, that I look like I'm nine months pregnant. I had an open surgery with Dr. Buchwald and there were no complications. Do you think this is just typical post surgical swelling or something else? When can I expect to have it diminish? I've been avoiding certain foods...like dairy, because that causes additional gas and bloating. Sometimes, after eating something more solid, it almost seems difficult to breathe because the swelling is so great that it seems to push on my diaphragm.

Also, I know I'm still early out and it's normal to expect stalls, but is a weight loss of only 2-3 pounds in a week's time ok. I'm doing pretty well with getting a lot of protein and water in and trying to eschew carbs but I'm concerned that my weight loss is too slow. I've been upping my exercise as well to try to get the scale moving. The first week I lost the most and it's been much more gradual the past two weeks. I know it was water weight initially but I wondered if I was doing something wrong because it seems others are losing so much more. I am only weighing once a week now. I'm down 14 pounds now total since surgery. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

Jennifer D.
on 10/3/11 11:33 am
I also have bloating and can't pull my stomach in enough to not look pregnant. I think what we are going through is normal. Looking forward to more advice though.
DianaRR
on 10/3/11 12:48 pm - CA
I stopped having the extreme bloating after 8 or nine weeks.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/3/11 8:45 pm - Tuvalu

Right now, you are swollen everyplace you were cut.  You are swollen every location that got banged around. 

If you have both lost weight and been swollen everywhere, the rest of the weight you have lost--the part that isn't showing up on the scale because you are currently swelling in response to trauma--will show up later when the fluid retention related to the trauma goes away.

litebrite
on 10/3/11 9:04 pm - Telford, PA
I had my DS 8/15.  I have lost about 60 lbs.  My pants are so lose in the legs but not as much in the belly.  I feel like my belly hasn't shrunk at all.   I figured with time I would see a difference.  I agree though, I feel like it is huge!
DS on 8/15/11

Jody W.
on 10/3/11 11:08 pm - Windsor, CT
Oh my goodness in the hospital it felt as though I was 11 months pregnant... I can see that it is slowly coming down... but I have to remember I am only 7 weeks out today... that is a baby in this DS Business.... I think you should see some gradual differences soon!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

mylittleblackdress
on 10/3/11 11:34 pm - FL
I'm more than a year out and occasionally have the kind of bloating and discomfort you describe if I overeat or have something with gluten in it.  In addition to what the others have said, I would remind you to eat slowly and listen for your body's signals about being full then stop eating when you get them. Maybe you need to closely evaluate what you are eating and your portion size.  A food diary may help--it did for me. 

I wouldn't worry about comparing you weight loss to anyone else--it will come off in time as long as you are doing the right things, which it sounds like you are.

Good luck!