Is DS too aggessive for me?

tri1mox
on 10/2/11 8:36 am
Hello everyone,

I have a lapband,  which is about to come out.  My doctor has suggested  a sleeve for me, but I'm hesitant because from what I've read it is only restrictive - just like the band. BUT (and this is a big BUT) I only weigh 170.  I'm only 5' 1 1/2"  and  I'm 58 yrs old.  My lowest weight with the band was 140, but my ideal - and normal - weight is 120...I just never could get there with the band.  Fill, unfill, fill unfill!

As I get older, my metabolism is slower and slower, I really eat less and less - I do NOT eat much.   I walk 1 -2 miles, but very slowly, a day on a treadmill.  I have several comorbities: severe sleep apnea, hypertension, high cholesterol, bad knees, degenerative disk disease, gerd, etc.  It's going to be a fight to even get a revision, I'm sure. 

After what I've been reading here, I think restrictive isn't the answer for me.  Maybe malabsoptive DS would address my sluggish metabolism would  be better?  But is this overkill, considering I 'only' have 50 lbs to lose?  Is the DS too risky for someone with this little to lose at my age? Will it become an issue of how will I keep weight ON?  (I can't even imagine that!)
Thanks,
me
MajorMom
on 10/2/11 8:50 am, edited 10/1/11 8:59 pm - VA
There are some surgeons that will adjust the length of the common channel so that you don't have severe malabsorption. It may be worth seeking out Dr Anthone in NE and talk to him about a revision. You can start doing some research on www.dsfacts.com . Dr Anthone's contact info is there. Good luck!

--gina

ETA: Sorry, corrected Dr Anthone's state to Nebraska.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 9:10 am - AL
Are you expecting insurance to pay for WLS with a BMI of 31?  As far as I know (except for the stupid new crap band rule) you still have to have a BMI of 35 (with co-morbids) to qualify.

I was a light weight and have had no problem loosing too much weight.  I actually have to work to maintain my weight at 2 years out.  But I wasn't as light a light weight as you are.

Good luck! 

~Becky

tri1mox
on 10/2/11 9:20 am
No, I realize I will be a self-pay.  Do you think, then, that with a 31 BMI a DS may be overkill? even with a sluggish metabolism at 58? maybe a sleeve will do?  I just thought a sleeve is only restrictive - like the band - doesn't address metabolic issues.   But maybe DS would be too much...

beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 10:03 am - AL
No, I think with metabolic issues and co-morbids the DS is the way to go.  You just may want to find a surgeon who will give you less malabsorption and maybe a bit larger sleeve. 

I sure don't regret getting the DS as a light weight.  I'm thin now, but not too thin.  I'm tall (5'8") and I got down to 139 and a size 2.  I rebounded way up to 149 and then worked to get back under 145 where I am comfortable am a size 4-6.  But I can't eat anything I want and stay under 145 for sure.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 9:39 am
tri1mox
on 10/2/11 9:49 am
It was much lower than 31???Wow! Did you lose weight though? Thanks...that's really amazing.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 9:59 am
tri1mox
on 10/2/11 10:14 am
Thanks...that's what I needed to hear! I could MAINTAIN a low weight. :-)
someguy
on 10/2/11 9:51 am
The VSG is a restrictive procedure, but there is believed to be a hormonal element, too. The part of the stomach that is removed is the part that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin. This is probably why the VSG is much more successful than the lapband.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice as to which surgery you should get. I'm looking at the DS, but that's because I have a very high BMI. If my BMI was 40-ish, I'd probably go VSG.