OT--I want a puppy!! (Major Mom) what do you have?

April M.
on 10/2/11 3:52 am - MI
My parents have a toy-sized ****apoo, and she is just adorable. She mostly looks like a toy poodle, has the smarts of a poodle, but more of the personality of a ****er spaniel. Something to look in to, she's adorable and very sweet, and just loves being a couch/lap dog. In fact, when my mom gets out of bed in the morning, the dog always looks at her with one eyebrow raised like "hey, we did this whole getting out of bed thing yesterday. Do we really have to do it again today?" But she is also sporadically energetic and silly, as (I think) all healthy dogs are.

Girls over boys any day. I grew up with girl dogs, but didn't know why, now we have a boy. He's much more of a challenge than I ever expected him to be based on his breed, age, past, etc. So yeah, in the future, all my dogs will be girls.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

scubadiva
on 10/2/11 4:12 am
Cool April.  I didn't know ****apoos come in a toy size.  Great sounding combo!!!   Love the look of the poodle and ****ers.  And a lazy, but happy dog would work for me.  :)  Thanks.
beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 5:04 am - AL
Here is the complete list of AKC breeds and breeds currently doing the work to become recognized as AKC breeds:  www.akc.org/breeds/complete_breed_list.cfm

There is absolutely NO reason to support breeders who intentionally cross breed when you have that many breeds to chose from.

If you don't want a purebred dog please adopt from a shelter.  The shelter staff can make educated guesses about what kind of mixed breed dogs they have available and you can even be put on a list for a certain type of cross that you would be interested in and they will call you if one becomes available.

~Becky

no_more_rolls
on 10/2/11 4:03 am, edited 10/2/11 4:08 am - Jackson, MI
I have 2 babies. One is a toy Fox Terrier (3 y/o). He is very hyper, weighs about 9 pounds, and sheds like crazy. The other is a long hair minature dachshund (10 y/o). She is very mellow by comparison, weighs about 10 pounds, doesn't shed (but does need to be brushed weekly or she get's matted up), loves to play but also likes to cuddle. She will hop into bed with me, put her head on the spare pillow, lay on her back, and snuggle under the covers! Needless to say she is spoiled. I have had them both since they were puppies. They were both fine with my 18 y/o cat I had to put down 2 years ago. They will bark to protect the house too, but otherwise are quiet unless it's play with the "baby" squeaky toy time....then they both play fetch.

If anyone can tell me what I need to do to post pics let me know please. I tried and obviously am doing something wrong.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Judi J.
on 10/2/11 4:31 am - MN
I'm rotten at training dogs but both boy dogs I've had (one toy poodle, one shar pei) got jealous of my husband and thought they were the leader of the pack and I was their woman lol. At one puppy training class I was warned not to hold my boy shar pei on my lap or it would make him possessive. I got my dogs to hold on my lap so I didn't listen.

my female dog has never been like that. so I'd stick with girls from now on.

When you are researching your breeders ask about diabetes. My 11 year old girl toy poodle was diagnosed in May. It's controllable but changes your life. On a doggy diabetes forum I'm on it seems like a LOT of the dogs are tiny ones. Poodles, terriers, min-pins plus some others.

It never occured to me to ask the breeder about diabetes or hip dysplasia, things like that.

good luck!
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 4:43 am
Oh, thank you!  Very good points to ask on.  Hope your little poodle feels better.
goodkel
on 10/2/11 4:58 am
Please check out Petfinder.com and adopt a homeless dog. You can even search by age and breed. I found my last two dogs and recently a cat through them. They have pictures and sometimes even videos of the available critters. Save a life!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Northcountrygirl
on 10/2/11 4:59 am

Listen to every word Becky said.  I also have a life long involvement in purebred dogs.  ****apoos, pugles, etc are not well bred, breeds no matter what the "breeder" tells you.  "Breeders" who cross breeds are the most despicable people  (IMO).  We breed purebred dogs with love and care.   We strive to correct health problems (usually caused by puppy mills) and produce healthy mentally sound pets and performance animals.  Just listen to Becky. 
www.AKC.org

Melissa
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 5:12 am
I'll listen.  :)    Such good on here today.  Thank you.
shannn
on 10/2/11 5:00 am - Knoxville , TN
Is your baby a rag doll? We have a rag doll named Murphy too! (His full name is Murphy Skywalker...his middle name was chosen by my 10 year old!) He and my golden retriever are best best friends -- they adore each other & cuddle up together all the time!
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.)