OT--I want a puppy!! (Major Mom) what do you have?

scubadiva
on 10/2/11 1:04 am
Oh, that looks like Gina's dog!!!  Lap dog... Yes, that is what I want.  Something not too demanding, easy, sweet-- a companion for me next to my cat in bed.  lol. I don't mind a lengthy potty training process as my floors are laminate and tile.  No big deal.  Yep, will need to read up on this breed more. Thank you!  Now I'm wanting a pug, a poodle type, and a shihtzo.  lol
Jolly Rancher
on 10/2/11 3:25 am
That is just the cutest thing. I wish I could learn how to post pictures! I would share mine with you. I think we are dealing with the same thing. Potty training came easy to mine, but sit, stay, no, etc are coming very hard to her. She learned fetch really early and LOVES it. My dog can be a couch potato, but only for a couple hours at a time. She is very high energy. And yes, she does believe she is royatly!!! LOL

I'm glad you mentioned factoring in the cost of grooming. Also vet bills. I can't groom, but I kept the same groomer I had with my last dog, and she only charges $25 each time. That is a steal, so I stick with her. She is also very kind. The cost of living in my area is very low, so the vets are cheaper here too. That said, I've already spent well over $1500 on vet bills alone, in less than 8 months. There were the first puppy shots, the flea/tick/heartworm/worm medicine that is given once a month. She got an eye infection and yeasty ears early on, so we had that. Then the spay and surgery on her nose. It can add up quick.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
orangecrushed
on 10/2/11 6:02 am - Triad, NC
Tucker is a total couch potato.  He lounges around so much.  He loves the outdoors though, and is totally different outside.  He likes to run, chase things, roll around, and loves SNOW more than anything.  He's a sweetie pie to the max!

I read a good book about picking the right puppy, and they said that if you can hold them in your arms like a baby (stomach up), and they didn't struggle too hard to flip back over, they were likely more submissive.  I didn't want a scardy cat though... I don't do well with dogs that "piddle".

You're getting a good deal at $25 a pop for grooming!  The cheapest I found here is $40.  It's just easier for me to do it myself, now.  He doesn't always look like a rockstar when I'm done, but that's ok.  I just stick a sweater on him if I messed up too badly. :p
KarenFlorida
on 10/2/11 1:10 am - Orlando, FL
We have a male toy poodle, 5 pounds, and he is the sweetest, cuddliest lap dog ever!!

Karen
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 1:33 am
A red or black male toy or tiny toy poodle is what i seem to be gravitating toward so far...  I would keep him a bit shaggy like a teddy bear.  I've heard male poodles are cuddlier, happier than females. Would you agree?   I just don't want a hyper, yippy, annoying dog... hard to know what you'll get when picking out a puppy.  I may have neck issues in the future even though I'm having surgery next week, so I want to make sure I can hold and pick up a dog easily.  Love the teddy bear poodle look.  Just want that breed to be a layed back, lap-dog type and i wondered about that.  Glad to hear yours is! 

http://youtu.be/p-scQwftS5M       I love this little dog....
MizCharlotte
on 10/2/11 1:44 am - Spring, TX
You wanna see cute!  I'll show you cute!

This is my new baby, Cartier.  He is a Coton de Tulear.  You can find more information about them here:  www.usactc.org

I show and raise them.  I don't have any puppies right now, but I could direct you to someone who does.  They are very expensive though.
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 3:03 am
lol.  Charlotte!  You know I've wanted a puppy!  I've asked you about your dogs at the HADS meetings.  I have to find more photos of them or come to your house and see them in person.  I have no idea how to cut their hair.  They are cute though!  Will need to read more about this rare breed.  What are we talking about price wise???  2k?  more?  eek?  Do I dare even ask.  lol.
BBoop
on 10/2/11 2:35 am
I have three rescues...a lapso alpsa(sp) or a shizsu (sp), or a mix with either maltese or poodle; a schnauzer terrier mix and a yorkie all from the local pound.  I love them all.  They don't shed, all use the doggie door and although they are boys and spayed, one has a huge shlong, one has a medium one and the third barely has one at all...go figure.  All of them were easy to train, they love me to death and seem to enjoy one another. 

Go to the pound, there are so many dogs who need homes and I personally don't believe that these dogs are damaged.  They just need a home, and someone like you to love them to pieces.  Go by the local pound look around and see, then go to another till you see one you like.  Puppies are fine but honestly, I have much better luck with grown dogs.  Always had puppies till about ten years ago and since that time I always to  the shelter and I wouldn't change a hair on their little bodies. I've been extremely happy with these dogs.

Betty
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 2:56 am
Just might do that... Houston has a lot of unwanted dogs.  My main reason for a puppy was to have more time for him to acclimate to my cat.  But a dog would work as well.  I do fear behavioral problems though when I'm not the one in control of raising them and socializing them from the beginning for some reason.  But i can change.  :)
BBoop
on 10/2/11 12:34 pm
None of mine were rescued at the same time.  I got one, then another and finally three.  That's enough. 

Spend some time with them at the shelter before you decide...they will allow you to do that.  See if there is a PAWS in Houston...that's where mine came from.  Also ask about their return policy...I actually got a Silky and the dog was lovely but my two dogs just ignored him...so I took him back so he could be in a more friendly environment.  No problem.  Finally I saw the Yorkie and man he's a pistol...you will find what you want.

People will tell you that a dog doesn't know but I swear, mine know and they do try to fit in and will do just about anything to please you. 

Happy dog hunting

Betty