OT--I want a puppy!! (Major Mom) what do you have?

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 12:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had a bichon-pop, he was all black and the cutest sweetest lil dog! Didn't shed and had a Hypoallergenic coat. Love love loved him. He was stolen from us and my 5 year old cried like a baby! I miss him so

Here is a picture of a dog his breed. They are usually all white, but mine was all black and sometimes they are brown.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/BichPooCasponstepCUTE.jpg
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 12:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
Bichon-poo*
scubadiva
on 10/2/11 12:52 am
Yes, yes, yes... been looking at the bichon poo combo as well.  Such a hard 15 year decision.
Its a Secret
on 10/2/11 12:55 am
I wish more people took the decision as seriously as you are :)  You will be a loving and caring pet owner....

scubadiva
on 10/2/11 1:37 am
Thank you!  I've been wanting one for so long.... I look at youtube video of dogs all the time.  Even more lately now though.  I just want to make sure I get the rigth breed for me and my laid back lifestyle.  :)
"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/2/11 12:11 am - Houston, TX

Given your criteria I can not recommend the mix that I have. Fuzzy Butt is part husky and part sheltie. However, I can recommend the kind of dog a friend of mine had when we were in Kuwait.

Little Girl was actually found on the street. Someone tossed this sweet baby away. She turned out to be a pure breed too. Go figure.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

scubadiva
on 10/2/11 12:57 am
What kind of dog is that?  No, the husky/sheltie combo wouldn't work... I think they are gorgeous dogs, but i don't want the long hair.  I already have a cat and just don't want more cleaning to do.  I see fluffs of cat hair on the floor all the time.  I have no carpet in my house at all but I see fur balls in the corners.  :)  If I could, I would have a house full of animals since I will not be having any children.  lol.  But one cat and one  "potential" dog.... is my goal for now.
"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/2/11 1:20 am - Houston, TX
Oh you are absolutely right about the hair. Every 2nd or 3rd month he gets a deshedding treatment which helps but does not eliminate the hair. We also have no carpet in the house and we have to dust mop every day. My sister's Chihuahuas do not help with that either.

That is a **** zhu. She was a sweetie. Fuzzy Butt had a real problem with her when she stayed with us but at the end, when we took her home, he roamed the apartment for 2 days looking for her.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

scubadiva
on 10/2/11 1:39 am
Wow... ****zhu's seem to be very popular!   Like the name Fuzzy Butt.... and Fanny.  :)
orangecrushed
on 10/2/11 12:24 am - Triad, NC

I also have a Shihtzu.  I've never owned a sweeter dog... I've owned smarter dogs, though.  He's just a lil doll.  He loves everyone, and especially kids.  He wasn't too difficult to house train, but he's not the best with learning to sit, stay, etc.  He doesn't play fetch really well, because he doesn't understand the concept of returning the ball.  He's just the cutest thing on the planet, and knows it!  I'm a big fan of the Shihtzu breed.  I've never met one that wasn't just super friendly and loving.  They tend to be a lil difficult to train, and is one of those breeds who were literally bred to do nothing.  They were bred as lap dogs for royalty, and they definitely carry that couch potato gene with them!

They are hypo-allerginic, meaning, they do not shed.  But... you have to brush them at least every other day to avoid hair matting due to this.  It's important to factor in the cost of hair upkeep with these guys.  Unless you know of a good, inexpensive groomer or you can clip their hair yourself, it can get pricey.  I bought a pair of Oster clippers for him and just keep him in a bit of a shaggy puppy cut.  It's easy to maintain that way.