OT--I want a puppy!! (Major Mom) what do you have?

scubadiva
on 10/1/11 10:57 pm
I've been researching getting a puppy for some time.  Gina, what do you have?  She/he is cute.  I'm wanting a low maintenance, happy, lap dog type--smallish.  Not yippy... not neurotic. Someone to hang with me while I'm in bed or on the couch.   I'm looking at toy poodles (red or black), or a cross with a poodle... maltipoo, or something that doesn't shed.  Anyone have the PERFECT dog breed and care to share?  :)  Anyone have super small dogs (teacups)?  I wonder how that would be with my cat.  lol.

Miniature goldendoodles look cute too.   I'm facing neck surgery and though I know its not the right time NOW to get a dog/puppy... I am home from work on short term disability for a while and getting bored.  I would have some time to train one.

Any dog info is greatly appreciated if anyone cares to share about their dogs... boy or girl?  I have heard conflicting things as to which is better... a boy dog or a girl.
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 11:01 pm - VA
Mine Newton is Shih Tzu and we keep his hair cut short. :)  He's the first male we've had. My little girl, Oreo, was also Shih Tzu. What a sweetheart!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

scubadiva
on 10/1/11 11:13 pm

Do you see a difference between your boy's personality and your girls?... it might just all be an individual dog thing.  This is the first male cat I have ever had... I think I'll stick with male cats though. I just have one cat.  He seems fine being the only one around.  But I want a dog now.  Not sure how Murphy will feel about it.  But he'll learn.  :)

Its a Secret
on 10/1/11 11:16 pm
Girls all the way.  Boys even if fixed don't bond as well, IMHO.  Plus can't stand looking down and seeing a red rocket...

scubadiva
on 10/1/11 11:20 pm
lol...  I agree.  But I would overlook that if a boy dogs personality was better for some reason.  Too funny.
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 11:23 pm - VA
Newton is a total coward but Oreo let you know when someone at the door. I think she was easier to train. Smarter, maybe.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/2/11 1:26 am - Houston, TX
Oh I have to disagree. Fuzzy Butt is completely devoted to me. He actually goes in his corner and doesn't come out when I go out. When I'm home he's right there with me.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Blank Out
on 10/2/11 5:39 am
 I had two Shih Tzus,  one was black and white (Tuddball), and the other was tan and white (Tiffany).  Tiffany had one blue eye and one brown eye.  They were my sweet babies!  I still miss them terribly...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Its a Secret
on 10/1/11 11:14 pm
Pugs all the way.  I'm working on creating a pug army to take over the world :)

Pugs do shed though the black doesn't shed nearly as bad ( their coats tend to be less thick).  They are not easy to potty train but with time and patience, it can be done.

Pugs tend to adapt to your energy.  If you are a couch potato so will they be.  They are alwasy happy and very food driven, just like me :)  It is very much like living with a clown, they will always make you smile.
The odd looking one is a visting dachshund  :)

scubadiva
on 10/1/11 11:28 pm
My mom will be staying with me for a month while I mend from my surgery.  She is bringing her French bulldog.... which I adore!!!!  I'm sure their personality is similar to a pugs.  I just think they are kinda ugly.  I even call my mom's dog, "come here ugly, pig, rat, frog dog"  lol... but she has the greatest personality ever.  Yes, clown like, cuddly, entertaining... and the snorting is cute.  Do the pugs snort??  lol

I was raised always with a lab of some sort... so to switch breeds will take some research and getting used to another "look."  But as I get older, I can't keep up with a high energy dog like a lab... Your black pugs are cute.  Thanks for sharing!