40 BMI - should I consider DS?

scoob
on 10/2/11 3:11 am - Somerset, KY
You need to do a LOT of reading! Read here. Read the Revisions forum. Please, do yourself a favor and visit   dsfacts.com   Read the entire site. I think after doing this you will make the best decision. The DS is NOT to be taken lightly. You need , HAVE to be armed with knowledge. Also, be an adult and realize from the begining this is an OPEN FORUM. There are all kinds of people here. Each have their own way of giving advice, BUT they know their **** so listen up. Learn, read read and read some more. Then make an educated decision. Good luck.

BTW, I settled for nothing less then a DS! Switch Doctors and went to a different state, jumped through gobbs of hoops, and 2 years later got my very own DS. I'm 1 year post op, down 126lbs and 87 inchs and still losing. I take my vites, eat my protein, get in my fluids and have my labs done and adjust accordinaly. This is NOT an option.

Again, Start reading, TODAY!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Emily F.
on 10/2/11 3:12 am
I was 43, I love my ds.
walter A.
on 10/2/11 5:04 am - lafayette, NJ
my bmi was 35, and it took 7 years to get a ds, turned down approvals for rny several times and did top level appeals including one before a congressional committee.  it was ds or nothing for me.  a lot of reasons, my favorite generic one is i couldn't imagine not taking naiads ever again for any future arthritis pain that will come up or for coronary stroke care that is in the future of most who live past 50.
beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 5:21 am - AL
The DS has the same BMI guidelines as any other WLS.

I wouldn't recommend the RnY for anyone.  Here are some reasons:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4454843/Considering-the-RnY- Please-educate-yourself-These-threads/

I've seen too many people get the VSG and then come here wanting to get the "rest" of the DS.  But please be aware that a two part DS is NOT a true DS as the "magic" of the DS comes from getting it all done at one time.

~Becky

Brian121
on 10/2/11 8:10 am
You all have given me pause, as I was probably leaning toward RNY -- and I didn't realize low BMI patients were getting the DS with good results.

A couple more questions:

(1) Can the DS be 'tailored' more to a lower BMI patient (routing for more intestinal absorption and/or creating a larger sleeve), or is it one size fits all?  This would seem to provide a more suitable weight loss with fewer long term issues.

(2) Does the DS incur the same problems with reflux as does the VSG?

I can't believe I am actually considering DS, but I have been researching it more and thinking about it all day -- and it is starting to make sense.  I'm guessing the recovery with DS is difficult, but I wasn't sure I could eat protein powder instead of normal food the rest of my life as with RNY.

Thank you again for you informative replies and help.
newyorkbitch
on 10/2/11 8:16 am
In the long run,  the sleeve size is not so important.  It's the malabsorption that keeps the weight off.

The weight loss phase is of course significant,  but imho, you have to focus on the long term,  not the short term.

beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 8:57 am - AL
As for tailoring to a lower BMI each surgeon probably feels diffeently about that.  As for me?  I wanted maximum malabsorption to prevent regain.  I had a low BMI and am only two years out but I am happy so far.  Long term issues such as?

I didn't know the VSG caused problems with reflux.  It isn't something I see complained about on the DS forum very much but I haven't researched it. Early out everyone with a sleeve is on meds for stomach acid but I think most of us get off those pretty soon.

~Becky

MsBatt
on 10/2/11 12:31 pm
The DS can certainly be 'tailored'---in fact, using the Hess method each and every DS is a one-only, since the individual's small intestine is MEASURED.

As fir reflux---talk to the surgeon you select. My acid reflux has been completely cured by my DS, but I had mine nearly 8 years ago, when they were making the sleeves larger than today. If that's a concern for you, your surgeon can make it larger. (My surgical notes says mine was 3-5 ounces.)

I had am 'open' DS, and recovery from it was really no worse than recovery from the 'lap' hernia repair I had 18 months later. It was nowhere near as hard as the recovery from breaking seven ribs. (*grin*)
smileyjamie72
on 10/3/11 9:56 am - Palmer, AK

You should check out the "lightweights" board. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Victorious_one
on 10/2/11 8:41 am - South Central, PA

I had a BMI of 38 or so.  I chose the DS because I wanted to KEEP the weight off long term.  Any surgery will help you lose, but the DS is the only WL surgery that works to keep the weight off in the future.  The malabsorbtion in the RnY stops working after two years; and the band and VSG are restriction-only.

It was my first and ONLY weight loss surgery, the only one I would consider.

Make sure your surgeon is a vetted DS surgeon from DSFacts.com.  I wouldn't listen to any recommendations from surgeons who do not perform DS surgeries, or who do not do DS surgeries regularly.  They have a vested interest in "selling" you a surgery that they perform.  They will use your low BMI as a selling point to interest you in a less complicated and less effective surgery.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers