35 BMI, love sugary treats...is DS right choice for me?

mlleelise
on 10/1/11 1:26 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Hi - I am in the process of trying to get approval (which is doubtful) through my insurance for a revision to a DS from a lapband - and plan on getting a loan, if not approved...I want it that bad.  BUT I just read about a DSer that regained a bunch of weight because, unfortunately, she never felt full when eating sweets - so she kept eating & eating them.  She regained 70 lbs!  I'm concerned, for 2 reasons: 1)  I thought you would be unable to "eat & eat" anything.  2) Don't you suffer from eating sweets??  Gas, runs, etc?? Shouldn't that discourage someone from eating them? I'm just wondering if I should rethink my choice. 
Please  HELP!  Any advice will be appreciated!
Yehuda G.
on 10/1/11 1:53 pm
The gas issues is a ymmv issue. As long as I take my probiotics I can eat anything without having gas or bm problems.

No surgery is going to be a cure all for carb addiction. There will always be temptation, and you will have to learn how to say no or moderate.

Well if you eat sweets first, then of course it will take forever to get full, and you will regain (or fail to lose). However, if you start with a juicy stake and veggies, then you can have a piece of cheesecake (or at least a few bites) if you have room.

Don't be discouraged, but learn from her that while the DS may be a very powerful surgery it is not a free ride. You will have to do your part, but it's much easier than with other surgeries.

penelopeliam
on 10/2/11 7:53 pm - Henderson, NV
Which probiotic do you use? Thanks.
mlleelise
on 10/1/11 2:47 pm
DS on 02/13/12
Thank you so much for the sound advice.  I can't even image eating a juicy steak - it's been YEARS!! I'd be in the bathroom gagging, b-ping with this lapband  I can't wait.  We so can not afford a $20,000 loan, but I just can't live another year like this - and my husband can't stand to live WITH me another year like this.  ;-)
To be honest, he is always going to be a problem for me in regard to eating . You see, he is quite sickly...He is a cancer survivor, has had 2 aortic aneurysms, has an inoperable pituitary tumor, is about to have a benign parathyroid tumor removed, and is about 100 lbs overweight - and couldn't care less about his weight.  And that's okay.  I wish I could change his mind, but I stopped arguing with him about it a long time ago.  The problem in HIS ideal world I would be happy being 80 lbs overweight too, but he has watched my sadness - and my battle - and so he reluctantly is supportive. 
So, I will be doing this really on my own, while watching my husband stuff himself with wild abandon.  I already am used to moderating my eating - I have an extremely low BMR - tested about 33% of normal, so eat 1000 cal per day to maintain my 35 BMI  at 5'1" .  Wish I could have the surgery tomorrow!  Have to arrange to have the band out.  Then wait 3 mos. per Dr. Gagner in Montreal (if insurance won't pay) then head to Canada for DS.
Thank you so much - every one - for being here!! Don't know what I would do without OH!

beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 3:39 am - AL
I have to tell you that it is really tough on a relationship when one person decides to get healthy and starts taking those steps while the other person chooses to remain unhealthy.  That describes my former relationship which was really pretty good when we were both unhealthy.  Once I started getting healthy I became very unhappy to see my partner remain unhealthy and keep making poor health choices.  I wound up ending the relationship although we remain on good terms.

And also, some surgeons can remove a band during the revision surgery which would be my preference if it was possible.

I just wanted to throw those things out to you.

~Becky                                                                                                                       

mlleelise
on 10/2/11 7:16 am
DS on 02/13/12
Yes, I have already experienced that it will be tough on our relationship. :-(  I'm hanging on so far....he's so, so sick with such serious illnesses; it would be heartless to do much else right now.
Thank you for the acknowledgemnent though...it helps to know that others have experienced it too.

I have talked to surgeons willing to remove the band at the same time; however; two very experienced ones (Dr. Michel Gagner in Quebec being one of them) have said that if the band is removed 3 months in advance, the stomach has time to return to its original size and the scar tissue dissipates.  Then there will be less stretching of the sleeve part of the ds procedure in the months afterwards. I hate the thought of waiting but my insurance will definite pay to remove the band..  Will see.  Thanks again for your wise words!
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/2/11 6:28 am - Tuvalu
On October 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Pacific Time, mlleelise wrote:
Thank you so much for the sound advice.  I can't even image eating a juicy steak - it's been YEARS!! I'd be in the bathroom gagging, b-ping with this lapband  I can't wait.  We so can not afford a $20,000 loan, but I just can't live another year like this - and my husband can't stand to live WITH me another year like this.  ;-)
To be honest, he is always going to be a problem for me in regard to eating . You see, he is quite sickly...He is a cancer survivor, has had 2 aortic aneurysms, has an inoperable pituitary tumor, is about to have a benign parathyroid tumor removed, and is about 100 lbs overweight - and couldn't care less about his weight.  And that's okay.  I wish I could change his mind, but I stopped arguing with him about it a long time ago.  The problem in HIS ideal world I would be happy being 80 lbs overweight too, but he has watched my sadness - and my battle - and so he reluctantly is supportive. 
So, I will be doing this really on my own, while watching my husband stuff himself with wild abandon.  I already am used to moderating my eating - I have an extremely low BMR - tested about 33% of normal, so eat 1000 cal per day to maintain my 35 BMI  at 5'1" .  Wish I could have the surgery tomorrow!  Have to arrange to have the band out.  Then wait 3 mos. per Dr. Gagner in Montreal (if insurance won't pay) then head to Canada for DS.
Thank you so much - every one - for being here!! Don't know what I would do without OH!

Four years after having my band-to-DS revision, Mr. Sue and I were in a restaurant we had been going to for about three years.  I had to ask where the restroom was.

As YOU probably know, with a band that's the FIRSt thing you have to learn!  It was just a reminder of what HELL living with a band had been.

I wish you salvation.

airbender
on 10/1/11 8:52 pm
I am also a band to ds revision, 10 months out, I went from bmi of 61 to 19 with the lap band, severe mechanical failures that left me with irreversible damage, revised to DS with a bmi of 32 (i think, low 30's) for me losing with the lap band was faster, but the quality of life with the DS is much better.  Due to the severe issues I had, insurance paid for the revision.   I would like to lose about 13 lbs to get to my pre lap band weight.   There is NO wls that will stop your sweets, NO DSers can't eat anything they want, they do absorb 100 % of simple carbs, as there is no surgery that stops that.  I am one of those that can eat carbs and don't have any issues, I can eat simple sugars, flour, etc with no issues, acutually I have never had diarrhea, but I do get gas, everyone is different. Dont bank of getting GI issues to stop you from primarily eating sweets, you have to give your body the best chance, eating proteins, then low carb foods then if you have room other stuff, this will be dependent on how much you want to lose the weight.   My common channel is longer than the 100cm lenght, may have something to do with it.   Sweets are not meant to make you feel full, that is good quality protein.  The DS is the most forgiving surgery.  You really need to think what you are doing and why, all our actions have consequences.  There is NO surgery that people can't eat around, and yes you can gain all your weight back with any surgery, ask yourself what you want and what you are willing to do to get there, we are all in the same struggle.  wishing you luck in your decision.....
walter A.
on 10/2/11 5:12 am - lafayette, NJ
my bmi was 35, and it took 7 years to get a ds, turned down approvals for rny several times and did top level appeals including one before a congressional committee.  it was ds or nothing for me.  a lot of reasons, my favorite generic one is i couldn't imagine not taking naiads ever again for any future arthritis pain that will come up or for coronary stroke care that is in the future of most who live past 50.

Victorious_one
on 10/2/11 7:57 am - South Central, PA

Carbs are an issue for ALL the surgeries, and weight loss in general.

With the DS, you have to get in 100g of protein every day, at the very, very least.  Most DSers strive for anywhere between 120-180g or more per day.  By the time you prioritize eating all that protein and getting in sufficien****er/fluids, you will have less room (physically and mentally) for carbs.  

Less room doesn't mean no room, of course.  There are a little carbs in most foods, then there are sweets and starches which are all carb.  A lot of us (myself included) have high-carb periods, and a few people still struggle with binge eating.  Surgeries don't change our heads, unfortunately.

If you are truly committed to doing what it takes to keep the carb monster at bay, then the DS should work well for you.  The good news is that you don't have to stay away from them all the time.  The DS "diet" definitely includes indulging in treats occasionally.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers