Vetted Revision Surgeons

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 12:00 am
Hi Everyone,

I saw a post by Diana Cox on the Revision board and it really got me thinking - where can I find a list of vetted revision DS surgeons?

I chose Dr. Sudan because he was a vetted DS surgeon and I've heard wonderful things about him.  I've searched the boards incessantly and cannot find anything negative at all. (if you know of any, please direct me there.  Would like full info before I do this!). 

Diana mentioned that he was NOT a vetted revision surgeon for RNY to DS and suggested the OP look elsewhere.  While I understand my Band to DS revision is different, I'm now concerned.  

I tried to search but didn't really get too much.  OT - we seriously need a better search engine on this site!  :)

Any opinon/information you have would be so appreciated.  I'm getting closer to my surgery and thought I was really informed and making a smart decision but now I'm questioning.  I don't want to make the same mistake I made with the band. 

Confused....
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 12:25 am, edited 10/1/11 12:27 am
I don't think there is a list but the RNY to DS revison has nothing to do with a lap band to DS revision. It's apples and oranges. You should not be concerned since Sudan is vetted and well respected.
larra
on 10/1/11 1:40 am - bay area, CA
Dr. Sudan has a great reputation, and I'm sure he's removed plenty of lap bands. Of course you can always ask him about his experience at this (I would) but this is totally different from doing an RNY to DS revision.

Larra
lwoznick
on 10/1/11 1:43 am - Green Bay, WI
Dr. Henry Buchwald is one of the vetted revision surgeons for the RNY to DS, as well as the lap band. He's at the Univ. of Minnesota Medical Ctr. in Minneapolis, MN.

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 1:47 am
Thanks.  Where did you find the information that has him as a vetted revision surgeon?  That's really my question.  People talk about this list on here, but I can't find it anywhere.  It's not on dsfacts and I've searched the boards but no luck.
beemerbeeper
on 10/1/11 2:08 am - AL
"Revision" is really pretty meaningless.  Lap band to DS?  RnY to DS?  Sleeve to DS?  All VERY different surgeries. 

The RnY to DS is the most complicated surgery of them all.  There are only a few surgeons who can do it.

The band to DS can be done by most DS surgeons, but it can be complicated by band issues, erosion, adhesions, etc..

I'm sure Dr Sudan will have you thoroughly evaluted so he will know as much as possible about what he is going to encounter when he gets in there to get your band out and do the DS.

Some surgeons want to do the band removal as a separate procedure from the DS as well.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 3:27 am