vitamins

Misty Costanzo
on 10/1/11 2:28 pm - Bennington, NE
I am 3 1/2 years post op and never hit my goal wt.  I am refocusing on getting in my protein and reducing my carbs but I am not sure what all vitamins I should be taking.  I was told my surgeon to talk Optisource multi vit, calcium and vit D.  What should I be doing and how much??????
Kathleen F.
on 10/1/11 2:33 pm
What do your labs say? How much calcium and D and what kind are you taking? Off hand, you should be taking vitamin A too. And a whole lot of other stuff for various reasons. But baseline you need to know where you are at with your labs. What is your D, calcium and PTH? How is your iron? What is your A level? My guess, with the supplements you are listing, you are going to be in big trouble with your levels if you are not already.
no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 6:38 pm - Jackson, MI
I agree, you need to get a complete set of labs done, then talk to your doctor about which supplements and doses will be best for you.

This is Vitalady's recommendations:

The first group, every 3 to 6 months for life, as we are able.  

1st Group  

Comprehensive Metabolic profile: (sodium, potassium, chloride, glucose,BUN, creatinine, calcium, total protein, albumin, total bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase)  

Pre-albumin:

Lipid profile: (cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, chol/HDL ratio)

Hep panel: includes ALT (SPGT) & GGT)

Phosphorous – Inorganic:  (718)

Magnesium:

Uric Acid:  (905)

Thyroid panel: (T3U, T4, FTI, TSH)  (84437; 84443; 84479; 84480)

Hemogram with platelets:  (1759)

Iron: TIBC, % sat

Ferritin:  (457)

Zinc:  (945)

Vitamin A:  (921)

Vitamin D: (25-hydroxy)   (680)

Vitamin B-1: (Thiamin)  (4052)

Vitamin B-6: (Pyridoxine)

Vitamin B-12 & Folate:  (82607; 82746)

Serum intact: PTH

Osteocalcin

Vitamin K

PT

PTT

The second group, annually, as long as the results were comfortably within normal limits for more than 2 years in a row.

2ND GROUP

LDH

Homocysteine, Cardio:

MMA

Cortisol

Selenium

Vitamin E

Copper

What you may need to take might be different than I need, but this is what I take:

Vitamin A                20,000 IU a day Vitamin D3             30,000 IU a day
Acidophilus            2 billion active cultures a day
B12                          150 mcg daily B complex               6 pills daily
Vitamin C                 2,000 mg a day
Vitamin E                  800 mg a day
Vitamin K                  1,000 mcg a day
Calcium Citrate        7,000 mg a day
Iron (Carbonyl)         200 mg a day                             
multi-vitamin             package says 1 a day, I take 2 (it has more ingredients than a "basic" multi)
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

MajorMom
on 10/1/11 7:33 pm - VA
Link to Vitalady's plan and schedule of vitamins: www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf

I hope you'll take a look at Vitalady's plan. It has worked wonders for me.

Good for you for taking this step to get back on track.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 10/2/11 3:46 am - AL
Oh good Lord.  How are your labs? 

Step one:  get complete labs : docs.google.com/Doc  COMPLETE labs.  ALL of them.  ASAP.  Also get yourself a dexa scan to measure your bone density.  Again, ASAP.
Step two: use google docs or something and post the results here. The lab experts here can advise you.
Step three:  Get on this plan:  www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf  while you are waiting for you lab results.
Step four:  Start posting every day on the Bites and Vites thread here on this forum.  That will help you learn different ways to eat high protein low carb and you will get tons of support for losing the rest of the weight you want to loose.

I will be looking for your lab results and dexa scan results.  I'm seriously concerned about you and I know a lot of people here will be very willing to reach out and help you if you will do the steps I've listed above.

~Becky

Victorious_one
on 10/2/11 8:53 am - South Central, PA

Ditto what Becky said.  That little list of yours is woefully inadequate!  You're not gonna make it on that.  Check in as soon as you can.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers