pur Absorb iron anyone?

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 2:38 am - Naples, FL
Has anyone tried this? It is a natural source of iron that is mixed in your drink of choice (juice  is suggested because of the vitamin C) or it can be taken straight from the packet. The manufacturer claims it does not cause the usual unpleasant gastro  symptoms but I am sure they have not tested this on DS patients. Anyone try this yet?

http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-us/us/our-brands/pur-a bsorb/about-pur-absorb/why-pur-absorb/
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 2:46 am - VA
Never heard of it and it doesn't really say what kind of iron it is. Kind of skeptical here. Better off with Proferrin (heme iron) if absorption and intestinal issues are of concern.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 2:53 am - Naples, FL
I've been searching all over the internet to see if I can find out what type of iron it is. Since it comes from a natural spring, I assumed it was elemental but I am not sure.  I also thought it was too good to be true so I wanted to see if anyone has tried it. I think it is fairly new on the market so I didn't think any WLS patients have had an opportunity to try it yet. 
sandyv63
on 10/1/11 2:55 am - Naples, FL
Ha! I found it. The type of iron is ferrous sulfate.
MajorMom
on 10/1/11 3:08 am - VA
That won't do you any good then and will cause intestinal problems.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 4:12 am - Naples, FL
Yeah, I heard ferrous sulfate was basically iron shavings I suppose in microscopic size.  Last thing I need is more intestinal distress after the surgery. I think I will try ferrex-150.
no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 9:31 am - Jackson, MI
If you are looking for an iron that will not cause intestinal issues, look for iron carbonyl as the source/ingredient of iron.  I'm not familiar with ferrex-150, but since the name has "ferr" in it I would be concerned it contained ferrous sulfate.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

sandyv63
on 10/1/11 9:43 am - Naples, FL

Ferrex-150 is ferrous polysaccharide. I plan to avoid ferrous sulfate and any other iron that causes intestinal distress. I figure I'll have enough of that after the surgery.  I am hoping supplements will be  enough because I'd like to avoid iron infusions.