Sleeve VS. DS??

jacreasy
on 10/1/11 12:58 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Hey,

I'm kinda new on here... I was just wondering how many of you had the Sleeve done as a first part surgery of the DS?  Why did you choose to do the DS instead of only having the Sleeve done?

How many of you had the Sleeve done and then later HAD to have the second part (DS) to finish your weight loss and Why?

I'm looking into doing the sleeve and my BMI is bout 47i****hink. I was going to go with the band but I see more and more people revising to another surgery b/c the band doesn't work or has caused problems... Not to mention the post -op cost of filling the bands...

So any feed back would be great!

Thanks Jennifer
no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 1:11 am - Jackson, MI
Before I got my DS a close friend of mine got the sleeve and another close friend of ours got the RNY around the same time.  I was able to see their results, any health issues/complications they had, as well as see the difference in their diets.  Granted neither of them did 100% of what they were supposed to do.  Now my friend with the sleeve struggles hard not to regain.  Our mutual friend that had the RNY has as many health issues now as she did pre-op just a different set of them now because she was non-compliant with supplements, follow up care, and protein intake.  

After watching the both of them I realized I wanted to be able to "eat" and that I wanted the malabsorption so I would not struggle to maintain my weight loss...so the DS for me was the best choice.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

CAJUNMAN3366
on 10/1/11 1:25 am - Breaux Bridge, LA
i needed malabsorption as much as stomach size, i had so many health issues after researching the DS was the superior surgery to me. No more health issues here and i can still eat all the great  cajun food i use to have to diet around~!

First annual DS cruise is in the books.  Dark Side Cruise Redux: July 15,2012.
Check us out on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/home.php
beemerbeeper
on 10/1/11 2:02 am - AL
The DS done in two parts is really not a DS.  The DS majic comes from the sleeve and switch being done SIMULTANEOUSLY.

We see people almost every day who have the sleeve and are looking to get the switch done.  I don't know why they didn't do the DS in one step and prevent a second surgery AND prevent the best outcomes.

With a BMI of 47 you need the DS done in one step.  No doubt in my mind at all.

The band would have been a nightmare for you so I'm glad you understand that.

Read, read, read.  Make sure you make the best decision for you and do not think that a two step DS is the same as a DS because it isn't.

~Becky

butercup
on 10/1/11 2:51 am - Kennewick, WA
I had a BMI of 47 at the time of my surgery. I got switched last week. IF you want to lose all of your weight and have a better chance at keeping it off, get a DS. Do your research and learn everything about it. Know that vitamins will be a HUGE part of your life, but it's not a bad trade off. Just read around some more and you should know what is the right decision for you.
Caleña M.
on 10/1/11 3:58 am, edited 10/1/11 3:59 am
I had all three surgeries:

Lap Band June 2008 HW 238 - lost 20lbs and regained them
Removal of lap band and 1st part DS - July 2010 HW 232 

2nd part DS - April 2011 - HW 202

Currently  166 and steadily loosing.

Without the malabsorption, I would have not lost any more weight with the sleeve.   If I could go back, I would have done the ds as first surgery in one step.  Do your research and listen to the vets. 

Cut once, having three surgeries is not a walk in the park.

caleña

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
Emily F.
on 10/1/11 5:05 am
 Its a personal choice. I knew I needed malabsorption to keep the weight off. I could not eat low calorie, low fat for the rest of my life. I can eat low carb, high protein and be very happy. 

I also could not mentally or emotionally have handled a failed wls. People who get revisions from band and sleeves, etc. I can just imagine how difficult it is to deal with emotionally. I am not strong enough to deal with those emotions of failing. That is just me. 

Its a personal choice. You need to have a heart to heart with yourself. Can you be on a diet for the rest of your life? Can you just eat small amounts and be happy? You need to be honest with yourself.
MsBatt
on 10/1/11 6:58 am
I had my DS nearly eight years ago. At that time, no one was realy doing the Sleeve as a stand-alone procedure, so I really never had to make this decision.

And that's just as well, because I knew I NEEDED permanent malabsorption of CALORIES, and the DS is the only WLS that gives that. My metabolism had gotten tremendously efficient as a result of dieting---I stored 4 out of every 5 calories I ate.

I was sick to death of dieting, and feeling guilty every time I enjoyed a bite of food. I didn't want to diet ever again.

The DS has freed me from the diet mentality. I eat 2500-3000 tasty, high-protein, high-fat calories every day. I eat them guilt-free, and my DS takes care of the rest. I don't really count calories or carbs, but I am 'mindful' of what carbs I eat---mostly because too many simple carbs will give me really painful gas.

Of all forms of WLS, the DS has the VERY BEST long-term, MAINTAINED weight loss. That was very important to me---I don't think I could bear to regain the 170 pounds I've lost. So far, I've had NO trouble with regain, and I don't expect to, either, unless I develop a medical problem down the line.

I do still have some restriction, but I most certainly would be gaining weight without the malabsorption/improved metabolism the DS causes. It's been the ideal surgery for ME.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 6:36 am - ewing, NJ
I HAD THE BAND BACK IN 2005 I CHOSE IT AT THAT TIME BCZ I WANTED A  LESS INVASIVE SURGERY W/ MINIMAL SCARS AND MY BMI WAS AT 38. IT WAS THE WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE...I AM NOW SCHEDULED TO HAVE DS ON NEXT WEDNESDAY. I CHOSE THE DS BCZ I NEED BOTH THE RESTRICTION AND THE MALABSORB OF THE WLS. MY METABOLISM IS ALL SCREWED UP BCZ OF YO YO DIETING AND I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PCOS. I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT WEDNESDAY!!!! I HAVE NOW GAINED BACK THE 3OLBS I LOST WITH THE BAND AND I AM AT THE EXACT SAME WEIGHT OF 266 MY PRE-BAND WEIGHT!!! SMH... I CANT TILL I AM OFFICIALLY SWITCHED!!!! GOOD LUCK WITH UR DECISION!!!