IS DS GOOD FOR PPL W LPW BMI'S??

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:38 pm - ewing, NJ
I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE DS ON OCT 12TH. IT ACTUALLY WAS AN ACCIDENT THE SURGEONS OFFICE WAS SUPPOSED TO GET ME APPROVED FOR THE SLEEVE. SO WHILE THEY WERE GETTING THE APPROVAL SWITCHED TO THE SLEEVE FROM THE DS APPROVAL I STARTED TO RESEARCH DS MORE. I AM HAVING A REVISION FROM THE LAPBAND I AM 5"10 263LBS BMI IS 37......I ALSO HAVE PCOS AND I AM WANTING THE DS BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT I NEED THE RESTRICTION AND MALABSPRPTION OF THE SURGERIES...JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF IT WORKS WELL WITH A LOWER BMI???? ALSO A REVISION WHICH I KNOW FROM RESEARCH SOMETIMES CAUSES SLOWER WEIGHT LOSS BECAUSE OF OUR SCREWED UP METABOLISM!!! PLEASE HELP!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 3:02 pm - San Jose, CA

1) Don't write in all caps - it is hard to read, and it is "shouting" on the internet.

2) Who is your surgeon - there are very few surgeons who are qualified to do the DS, and a revision from a DS is even more technically difficult.

3) Lower BMI patients do just fine with a DS tailored to their needs, assuming the surgeon knows how to personalize the surgery.

nightowl
on 9/30/11 3:50 pm - Topeka, KS
Yes, the DS can be great for people with a BMI of 35-40 if there are also obesity-related co-morbidities.  Different insurances will have different opinions on whether "just" PCOS is enough.  Have you had a sleep study?  If a sleep study finds that you have sleep apnea, that could be what pushes you over the edge to qualify.  I have heard of some insurances requiring two co-morbidities for people in the 35-40 BMI range. 

I very heavily need malabsorption, and I recommend it (well, with the usual ifs, such as you being willing to eat high protein, take many mineral and vitamin supplements daily for life, and getting labs done to determine when to adjust the supplements).
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 3:58 pm - ewing, NJ

NO SLEEP STUDY WAS NEEDED....SURGERY DATE IS OCT 12TH....THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

kirmy
on 9/30/11 6:48 pm - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
The DS works well for low BMI's as well as high one's.  One thing revisions have noted is that they tend to have a slower weight loss.  I doubt that that will apply to a band as loads here are revisong from RNY's and VSG's. 

I love my DS and can say it is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
MajorMom
on 9/30/11 7:03 pm - VA
The DS works like magic for lower BMIs (in most cases, there are always exceptions).  Anyway, I hope you've been directed to read www.dsfacts.com... great site with tons of good info about the DS.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 9/30/11 9:01 pm
DS is very versitile, I had my DS in low 30's (32 i believe)  your surgeon can adjust your limbs to suit you, great that way.....
no_more_rolls
on 9/30/11 9:13 pm - Jackson, MI
Not a revision and didn't have a low starting BMI...but I do have PCOS.  I'm only a few months out, but my PCOS symptoms have improved drastically already.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Victorious_one
on 9/30/11 9:34 pm - South Central, PA

I had a lower starting BMI, and the DS has worked very well for me.  I chose it because of the malabsorbtion and keeping the weight off long term.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 9:47 pm - ewing, NJ
Thnanks everyone!! I believe that I am making the right decision!!!@Nicole Dr.Greenbaum is my surgeon as well.How long were you outta work? How long will I be in the hospital???