DS and alcohol

beemerbeeper
on 9/30/11 3:38 am - AL
Oh I don't know about that.  Enough regular beer drinking can certainly cause the DTs when quitting cold turkey.  I have a friend who weighs about 150 lbs who drinks 24 beers every 24 hours.  You think she can quit cold turkey with no DTs?

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/11 12:33 pm - Burlington County, NJ
She'd probably get some detox symptoms, which can range from mild to life threatening, depending on how much and how long she's been drinking. She also needs to be aware that she's at lots higher risk for a B1 deficiency than a non-op who's drinking regularly. Think Wernicke's encephalopathy and lifelong terrible neurological crippling.

If it's who I'm thinking of, I don't know why she's bothering with labs since she's committing suicide by bottle anyway.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/29/11 9:39 pm
OK - it was the person you are all thinking about. I hadn't read her lastest post here so didn't know she had talked about it this openly.  

I see you already told her what she needs to do - inpatient detox, now.

can't even imagine how hard it would be to take ACTION when this deep in passive despair.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Guate Wife
on 9/29/11 12:49 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Why stop?  Get the labs as is, so reality is there.
I'm just not one to hide anything from any of my medical professionals.
What's the point?

The DS labs it will show up in will be the liver panel, and the damage is already done.
Why stop for a day or two and deal with the detox hell?

Obviously, I'm not advocating that someone not deal with a substance abuse issue, but that is a whole other situation.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/29/11 1:02 pm, edited 9/29/11 1:02 pm - Tuvalu

If this person were to be admitted to a detox place, they would both cut off the booze and run blood tests, right?

ETA, but as others have said, why bother?   The damage does not go away when you stop drinking for a day.

Guate Wife
on 9/29/11 1:40 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Come on, Jackie, you know us DSers are slueths!

I won't call the person out, but easy enough to find the post you are likely referring to:

Post Date: 9/27/11 11:01 am
I work part time, so I have a lot of days off.  I'm a drunk.  On my days off I wake up, have a protein coffee, take my pills and vites, then start in on the rum and coke.  Today I got up at about 9:30 and have been drinking since 10:30. What is strange is that I will take a nap soon and wake up totally sober with no hangover.  I can drink half of a big bottle of rum a day and not be falling down drunk.  I've steadily making my drinks stronger and stronger.   Every day I say I'll quite after my bottle is done, but I don't.  I hate the days I work, because I have to wait all day and evening to get to my rum.   It's that I don't know what to do with myself when sober and I'm so anxious I can't stand it.  Can we say self medicating?   Yes, I have a pdoc and take four psych meds a day plus anti anxiety as needed and could take sleeping pills, which I have and don't take because of the booze, but I don't want to take those because they are addictive. (Yep, that is stupid.) Please, don't have a drink it can lead to feeling good and become a habit. 

She needs to get her butt on over here and ask herownself.  If not under her own acct, then get a new one so we can ask the questions.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 12:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Her butt belongs inpatient RIGHT NOW.