DS and alcohol

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/29/11 9:30 am
 if someone who has had a DS and been drinking regularly - daily, I believe - and stopped  in order to have fasting labs done - how likely is that to be dangerous?

I know the drinking is a problem and the getting labs is good, but what I am wondering is if stopping drinking suddenly is bad - DTs and so forth. I suppose it depends on how much...but does the surgery mean any amount daily could be a problem? the stopping, I mean?

it's not exactly a secret but she didn't say I could talk about it either and I asked her to ask this question herself and that hasn't happened, so I am butting in.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Emily F.
on 9/29/11 9:42 am
I think it would depend on how much daily. If its two drinks a day for a year, then stopped for one night, probably not a whole difference, maybe can't sleep, irritable.

If drinking a fifth a night for a year and stopped for one night suddenly, probably get sick.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/29/11 9:48 am, edited 9/29/11 9:49 am
yes, how much is the thing. but even two drinks is a lot...

ETA: and I wonder what affect it would have on your labs...both stopping and not stopping, I mean.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Its a Secret
on 9/29/11 10:47 am, edited 2/10/12 11:19 pm
Removed because OH has chosen to share my as well as others posts, uploaded pictures, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/29/11 12:34 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You most certainly CAN get DT's when detoxing from beer. Depends on how much you've been consuming and for how long.

Its a Secret
on 9/29/11 12:41 pm, edited 2/10/12 11:21 pm
Removed because OH has chosen to share my as well as others posts, uploaded pictures, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/29/11 1:07 pm - Tuvalu
On September 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM Pacific Time, hoosiermoma wrote:
I'm only going by an older couple I was helping.  The man had been drinking to the point of passing out every night for 40 years...you cannot imagine the quantity.  He was diagnosed with diabetes and was running sugar of over 400.   He needed to stop drinking and I called his doc because I was concerned about the dt's.  The doc told me as long as he only drank beer it didn't matter how long or how much, he could not get dt's.   Sounded insane to me and he and I settled on lite beer because he wasn't stopping...better than  nothing...

I'm glad I didn't put it to the test now...He also smokes like two packs a day :)

First, I'm sorry about your eight.  I owe you one...plus seven.

Meanwhile, from the nice folks at PubMed:

Delirium tremens

DTs; Alcohol withdrawal - delirium tremens

Last reviewed: March 20, 2011.

Delirium tremens is a severe form of alcohol withdrawal that involves sudden and severe mental or nervous system changes.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Delirium tremens can occur when you stop drinking alcohol after a period of heavy drinking, especially if you do not eat enough food.

Delirium tremens may also be caused by head injury, infection, or illness in people with a history of heavy alcohol use.

It is most common in people who have a history of alcohol withdrawal. It is especially common in those who drink 4 - 5 pints of wine or 7 - 8 pints of beer (or 1 pint of "hard" alcohol) every day for several months. Delirium tremens also commonly affects people who have had an alcohol habit or alcoholism for more than 10 years.

PS--"Light beer" CAN mean lower in calorie.
Its a Secret
on 9/29/11 1:18 pm, edited 2/10/12 11:19 pm

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 1:06 pm - San Jose, CA
Alcohol is alcohol, regardless of the stuff that it's in - the doctor that said that is an IDIOT.
Its a Secret
on 9/29/11 10:10 pm, edited 2/10/12 11:19 pm