My addiction transfer story : Hard Drugs

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/29/11 3:16 am, edited 9/29/11 3:17 am - Tuvalu

That was probably me...and it was a snarky comment based on seeing it so often and your opinion--at the time, if I recall correctly--that your drinking was "casual," when it in fact showed a real tendency toward substance abuse.

So...you got there and got through it and you are finally on your way to healthy...which was what you were looking for to begin with.

You have UNDOUBTEDLY hepled someone else.  I think that MOST of us find something else to obsess about...whether it's posting online or exercise or crocheting totally uselsss crap that no one wants.  Seems we "need" to do "something."

You are in counseling now, Missy?

mhiggins
on 9/29/11 3:39 am
No I think her name was Nicole, but yea I remember some of your comments, I will admit 4 weeks after surgery I started drinking again, and then it was a bottle of southern comfort a night, then I went to the drugs....Its been a rough year! I need to be in counseling! But no im not right now, my insurance is wacky right now so I have to wait. But I have a great support system! Being sober, my head is clear and my mind is sharp, its an amazing feeling.
Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

ModestoK
on 9/29/11 3:50 am
Check with your local mental health organization.   They may have some counseling available free of charge, or at the very least can direct you to some local NA or AA meetings.
If you are in a big city that has a teaching hospital, you may also want to check to see if they have free counseling for their grad students.  Worth looking into.

Thank you for your honesty and sharing this difficult experience.  I'm sure you will help someone else out there.   We all need to be reminded that sometimes the fall into despair starts with a baby step.  (A few drinks once a week won't hurt,   a few drinks a night are okay, ...)

Best of luck to you in staying clean and sober.

Kim
Nicolle
on 9/29/11 1:27 pm
Missy, I have wracked my brain and I do not think I was the person who predicted a addiction transfer for you. I am not sure I really believe in the concept. No therapist I have ever talked with believes in it, either. It doesn't mean it's NOT real. It just means that I would be one of the least likely people to say that, unless I was being sarcastic.

I looked back over 25 pages of your posts to see if I participated in anything on that topic with you, but if I did, it was not on the DS forum. I can tell you that knowing what I know NOW about you from reading the last 14 months of your posts, your drug use and troubles seem to have been a long time coming. You may want to read your posting history here to see the clues and bits and pieces of your life. From landlord troubles to drinking to a major family history of addiction to helplessness, it is all there: a recipe for drug addiction for you. You may get some answers.

Nonetheless, I am happy you are out of the dark place you have been in. You are a mom. You need to keep your daughter as your number 1 priority. A major part of that priority is being healthy for her. I wish you all of the luck and strength in the world. You are important and do NOT need drugs or booze to get through life anymore.

Please take care of yourself,

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

mhiggins
on 9/29/11 10:48 pm
Nicolle,
hmmm, it definetly could have been some1 else, I cant remember who. In all honestly their are prolly 15 ppl who warned me! lol. Thanks for the support ::hugs::
Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

trxxyy
on 9/29/11 3:46 am - Orange County, CA
I think that MOST of us find something else to obsess about...whether it's posting online or exercise or crocheting totally uselsss crap that no one wants.  Seems we "need" to do "something."

This helps explain the INSANE amount of baking I have been doing since my surgery in April. I have always liked to cook and bake but I have taken it to a whole other level. My husband is having a heart attack on the amount of money I am spending to buy my baking drugs (supplies) and then turning around and giving away the finished baked goods to whoever wants it. 

Sarah_Anne
on 9/29/11 3:42 am
Thank you for the reminder to be constantly vigilant.  This stuff is scary.  

I think my transfer addiction is cooking.  I cook these hugggggge meals and then I give most of it away.  To be fair I did that before surgery too.  

Congratulations on being sober.  You are really inspiring! 
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
Jody W.
on 9/29/11 4:27 am - Windsor, CT
You know that I saw a show a long time ago where they were talking about this with Bypass patients becoming alcoholics (obviously not all of them)... but I can see how this can happen....For some of us food was something that made us feel good... after having this surgery it may no longer do that (I know for me that is no longer the case)... So your looking for something...anything to make you feel good again... Give your that woozy food coma feeling...For me food had an attachment to love and I am working those issues out with my Therapist on why I feel the way that I do... why do I feel like I don't deserve to be well cared for or loved....

With that being said... I applaud you for posting this... I know that it has to be hard to come clean... but what all of us need to take away from this is... it can happen to any of us... This relationship with food that we have need to be looked at more closely...

Best of luck with your recovery!!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

provolisa
on 9/29/11 4:36 am - Provo, UT
 I have a lot of respect for what you did by posting this. I shot up cocaine and methamphetamine (not together... yet) for a few months over 20 years ago, and also almost lost everything, including my kids to foster care. I came down from a run of several weeks in jail. (shudder) I know firsthand how secretive the whole activity is, and how hard it is to bring it out into the light.

We really do have the disease of addiction. I switched to food after giving up the drugs. But that was over 20 years ago. Thank-you so much for the reminder that I am still so vulnerable! I am one of the ones you helped.

Now, find yourself a counsellor or AA or NA, Please!
Once you try them, IV drugs are too alluring to give up by ourselves!

I think I'll go crochet something to give away, now...
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 7:55 am, edited 9/28/11 7:55 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I almost lost my youngest to meth, so I know how powerful these awful drugs are. I am so happy that you were able to battle your way free; now the hard work continues as you fight to maintain your sobriety. Definitely find your way to NA; that organization really helped my family.

My transfer addiction was spending money. Credit cards can do a lot of damage for people like me. Still having to deal with that, although I've cut up all my cards except for one for emergency use.

Best wishes,