So lonely and unhappy

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 12:06 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Oh no, this wouldn't be a revision.... My first choice was RnY when I decided on surgery, but with months of research and knowing so many people who've failed at Lapband, Sleeve, and even bypass I decided DS would be the best choice. I need malabsorption more than restriction. I guess I have so much trust in my current choice of surgeon, when I looked at her stats and talked with her about the DS I felt confident she was the right one. Not to be frustrating but Im sure the surgeons on DSfacts.com had to start with just a few experiences when they first started? My insurance will be paying and I'm not sure about flying or riding far distances right after surgery. Has anyone actual travel over 5 hours after a DS surgery (after the hospital stay)? I just really hate to HAVE to choose a Bypass surgery due my surgery only performing a few DS surgeries compared to others. Dr. Blackstone Served as president-elect of the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). She is one of the nation's leading bariatric surgeons. But I do understand wanting to select a surgeon who specialize in DS. Gee golly is it back to the drawing board now . I thought I had it all figured out.
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 12:11 pm
Tiffy, I just want to echo what's been said about using an experienced DS surgeon. It's doable as far as travel. 

I traveled to Brazil to have my DS when my insurance at the time would have paid 100% for an RNY right down the street from my house.

Get what you want and who you want it with!!

Michele
gak
on 9/30/11 1:59 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Glad you are reading and responding. Glad you had a good cry out and movie and have an appt for help with depression meds.

I want to add... Please do NOT settle for a non vetted DS doc. .... I am a revision, I did it wrong the first time around. Go read my profile. It has been a rough ride. I wish I would of known more back in 2003, I had a revision in 2009. It's been a long rough road.

Get your depression under control.. check with your insurance. Most insurances will pay to go to other WLS docs, you just need to find one on the vetted list on www.dsfacts.com  ( this list did not exist when I had my first surgery) I traveled from Alabama to Ohio for my revision. You are not that far from several GREAT vetted DS docs. Check them out like the others have stated. You can also call their offices, they will be helpful with insurance and if they can help get you approved as well.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

larra
on 10/1/11 12:53 am - bay area, CA
Tiffy, I replied to an earlier post, then read your subsequent posts, so I apologize for any confusion.
    It sounds now like you have already discussed the DS with this surgeon, which is great, and you are right that everyone has to start somewhere, and certainly she's an experienced wls surgeon, but I still am in the dark about her experience with the DS, if any. She does not list it on her page on OH, and under the "clinical experience" tab she provides numbers for how many of each procedure she has done, and DS isn't even listed! This has me still concerned.
     So I would recommend asking her specifically about her experience with the DS, not about her overall experience as a bariatric surgeon. Whatever numbers she gives you, it's up to you to decide if that amount of experience is acceptable to YOU. I suspect it's a low number that many people would not find acceptable, but that is for you to decide.
     What I would strongly recommend, however, is that you write "no gastric bypass" on your consent form and tell her ahead of time that under no cir****tances do you want her to fall back on gastric bypass if she can't complete a DS for some reason. Unless gastric bypass is acceptable to you, of course, again your decision, but it would not have been acceptable to me. If she can only do a sleeve, at least you could still add the switch at a later date. But converting from gastric bypass to DS is extremely difficult and far more risky.

Larra
Its a Secret
on 9/30/11 12:21 pm
Oh Tiffy, I'm so sorry life is so hard.  You need to seek help now because being thin isn't going to change who you are on the inside.  Get a DS for your weight and another for your depression...if you need meds or talk therapy, think of it as a way to find the thin inside you to match the thin outside you :)

Happy Birthday, baby.  Remember how much God loves you today and everyday but know that you gotta work with him to give him that huge burden of yours...working with him is taking advantage of the resources at your disposal :)

scoob
on 9/30/11 12:25 pm - Somerset, KY
Honey, you're not alone! Love and HUGS being sent your way!
A good shrink has done wonders for me!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 1:29 pm - Phoenix, AZ
This advice is so awesome, I've cried it ou****ched a good movie, made an appointment with a psychiatrist and a counselor. Now I have something to keep myself busy (researching travel expenses and experienced DS surgeons near my state of residence). Gosh thank you all so much! I guess I've always felt embarrass to seek professional help and medication for depression, but looking at the responses and advice on this very thread leads me to believe if I get help now things will get better!
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:02 pm - San Jose, CA

1) The depression will get better.  Really.  But you will need to get help - and best to get hooked up with a therapist NOW, who can help you prepare for and get through surgery, because that can be a *****  But it WILL get better.  Six months after you get your DS, your situation will likely be very different.  But between feeling crappy for a month or two, and hormone release as you rapidly lose weight, it could be very bad if you are starting out already depressed. 

Personally, none of that really happened to me (except getting freaked out and anxious about the nausea I didn't expect the first month), but it is quite common.  On the other hand, after my first (and only) reconstructive surgery, I had a horrible reaction to a medication that left me feeling panicky, anxious and depressed for MONTHS - medication eventually helped.

2) The following surgeons are ones in your area I would NEVER EVER recommend for a DS, based on past history: Schlesinger, Husted, Juarez, Simpson and ANYONE who says they do a DS but really don't (or do them "rarely").  From where you live, Keshishian and Rabkin, or Simper or Stewart.  Check out DSFacts.com (Simper isn't on the list yet, but he might be getting there soon).

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/11 1:36 am - Phoenix, AZ
On September 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:

1) The depression will get better.  Really.  But you will need to get help - and best to get hooked up with a therapist NOW, who can help you prepare for and get through surgery, because that can be a *****  But it WILL get better.  Six months after you get your DS, your situation will likely be very different.  But between feeling crappy for a month or two, and hormone release as you rapidly lose weight, it could be very bad if you are starting out already depressed. 

Personally, none of that really happened to me (except getting freaked out and anxious about the nausea I didn't expect the first month), but it is quite common.  On the other hand, after my first (and only) reconstructive surgery, I had a horrible reaction to a medication that left me feeling panicky, anxious and depressed for MONTHS - medication eventually helped.

2) The following surgeons are ones in your area I would NEVER EVER recommend for a DS, based on past history: Schlesinger, Husted, Juarez, Simpson and ANYONE who says they do a DS but really don't (or do them "rarely").  From where you live, Keshishian and Rabkin, or Simper or Stewart.  Check out DSFacts.com (Simper isn't on the list yet, but he might be getting there soon).

Wow!!! Glad you mentioned Schlesinger, I went to him a year ago 2nd time with bariatric surgeon, and his arrogance made me feel uncomfortable! Then researching him, the horror stories and lawsuits sent me running for the hills! Im glad this board is available and people like you guys confirm researching surgery is not a waste of time!
M ..
on 9/30/11 3:53 pm
On September 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM Pacific Time, TiffyinAZ wrote:
This advice is so awesome, I've cried it ou****ched a good movie, made an appointment with a psychiatrist and a counselor. Now I have something to keep myself busy (researching travel expenses and experienced DS surgeons near my state of residence). Gosh thank you all so much! I guess I've always felt embarrass to seek professional help and medication for depression, but looking at the responses and advice on this very thread leads me to believe if I get help now things will get better!
Good for you for being proactive and taking the steps to be healthy! Treat yourself good! Don't hesitate to come and ask questions!

HUGS!!!
maya

Lilypie - (bM9u)