So lonely and unhappy

Toy T.
on 9/30/11 12:27 am
DS on 02/22/12
 According to Dr. Blackstone's website, she is one of the few women WLsurgeons. And they do the "rare lap DS" at their facility which she is medical director at.  
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 1:22 am - San Jose, CA
I would NOT NOT NOT go to a surgeon who rarely does a DS.  This surgery requires constant practice.  Most of the time, this kind of statement means - "I will get you in my office by saying I do the DS, and then when you get here, I will tell you that you are not a good candidate for it, and suggest a surgery I CAN do."  In other words, bait-and-don't-switch.
Toy T.
on 9/30/11 12:22 am
DS on 02/22/12
 I am so sorry you  are feeling this way but Happy Bday Early!!!!! I have gone through bouts of depression after first surgery. In 2005 my grandmother died a few months after I had surgery so when I came back from funeral I couldn't sleep and I went to PCP immediately bc it was effecting work performance and he kept putting me on anti-anxiety and antidepressants which made me want to kill myself (side not this was due to my age it is a common s/e. Does not happen in all cases). So finally I was prescribed ambien and I was fine. Took it for about 2 days and I was fine after that. Let me tell you my parents were adamant I don't take any meds and pray it away; a common thing in the black culture. Fast forward to grad school: insomnia came back full force due to being over worker, 3rd shift job, personal relationship problems, etc... When I received my degree and moved back to my home state I became an in home therapist for juveniles on probation and their families. I was on call 24/7 and was  just overwhelmed. It is funny bc in grad school we learned all the signs of depression but I didn't link it t myself until one day I was trying to put on a Squeem (a corset type like thing) and I started crying and couldn't stop bc the thing wouldn't go on correctly. I immediately made an appt to see my PCP and asked to be put on an antidepressant and he asked me how I knew I was depressed and I told him I may not have a MD degree but I am pretty well informed, I see depressed individuals everyday, and I know I am not myself. He put me on one and soon as it started to take effect I was like WOW I was really depressed. Once again my mom was quite upset with me bc she said black people don't take medicines and we don't get depressed. My mother is from down south and they truly believe this so I don't fault her. I stayed on antidepressants  a good 7-8 months and then one day said I don't need it anymore which I knew I didn't bc I felt it was a going to be a short term thing. So from 2008-2011 I was fine but this is when I really started to gain weight, I had 2 failed IUIs, the person who I thought I would be with forever got another girl pregnant, job was overwhelming and the list goes on so I decided its time to talk to someone. I made an appt and the APRN just wanted to push meds on me when all I wanted was to talk to someone so she said ohh thats going to take a while but until then here is 5 different meds and tried to get me to say I was in manic/depressive states or wanted to kill myself. I left that office thinking that is why our country is going down the tubes bc no one wants to actually listen they just want to force meds on you. So a month later the therapist finally called and I immediately declined due to way she came off on the phone. So I just let it go on and the depression kept getting worse and worse. I noticed it was 10x worse around menustral time. I looked it up and wondered if I had PMDD so I talked to my GYN and requested to be put on an antidepressant. I had researched it and knew exactly what med I wanted to put on and I have to say after tweaking the amount a little bit I feel so much better.My mom said I really need to go to church and pray it away. I told her Mom I am a clinical therapist, it would be so hypocritical to recommend meds for clients but be against them myself. I said praying does help but sometimes you need an extra little push. Imagine telling a person with schizophrenia to pray it away. She then saw what I had been trying to tell her all along.

So in summary, sorry for the long post, I am just a writer by nature: go find a good therapist. I would recommend you find a counselor and an APRN or psychiatrist(if you are interested in meds). Not to be judgmental about APRN or psychiatrists but they book their sessions in 30 min increments bc they are only doing med management but a counselor will give you a time you need to really talk about what is helping you and work out a treatment plan for you. Also if you do go on meds, research and recommend to your doctor what you want to be on. They might not like it but its your body and your life.
mel1964
on 9/30/11 12:23 am
ditto all the above!!! imagine feeling like that while duping a ton of hormones due to weight loss after your surgery!! its best to work things out now and prepare yourself for changes some of which you will have no control of good or bad! I hope you spend your birthday enjoying life and looking forward to a new you.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 12:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
Get to the doc and get evaluated to see if medication might help. And get into some therapy. If you are far enough down that you're unable to see options for self help, then it's time for some professional assistance. This will help a LOT.

larra
on 9/30/11 12:51 am - bay area, CA
Tiffy, I can only repeat what everyone else is saying - get professional help, and get it now, before you have any surgery. There are some excellent drugs available these days for depression, as well as therapy being beneficial. It can make a world of difference. And it would be great for you to have a therapist who already knows you if the surgery does throw you for a loop.
      I looked up your surgeon here on OH, and she lists every wls under the sun EXCEPT the DS. So if the DS is what you have planned, which I'm just assuming because you're posting on the DS forum, I would strongly suggest you find a different surgeon. This surgeon may be excellent at what she does, but I doubt she does the DS. And please, please run any other potential surgeon choices by the good folks on this forum. We've had some problems with surgeons in your state, I'm sorry to say.

Larra
Toy T.
on 9/30/11 1:00 am
DS on 02/22/12
 Thats what I saw too and then I click on her website and thats where it says she does DS. 
Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 2:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
You do NOT want to go to someone who calls the DS "rare" for a revison from RNY. Don't waste your time.

Toy T.
on 9/30/11 1:01 am
DS on 02/22/12
i looked that up too but then went to her website and that is where she lists it but it is said it is a rare surgery.
mylittleblackdress
on 9/30/11 3:45 am - FL
Don't believe everything you read (on the doctor's website).

If you want a DS save yourself a lot of heartache and go to an experienced vetted surgeon!!