So lonely and unhappy

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 2:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I pray... I try to be happy... Anyone have any advice for post-surgery depression!!! I'm so tired of this loneliness and to make matters worse my bday is Sat and I'll be celebrating with a nap on the sofa...
* Gail R *
on 9/29/11 2:23 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
I am sorry you are so unhappy. I think that a lot of us believe that our lives will be differ ant and better immediately after surgery. It doesn't happen that way. The first 6 months can be very difficult and the the adjustments we make can make us feel isolated, recovery can be exhausting, and I think it is easy to get depressed.
You don't say when you had surgery or what kind it was. My birthday is Saturday too and I have reason to be depressed.....62 !!!  You are young and you have taken steps to have a long and healthy life. I wish I had done this years ago. Good luck

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 2:37 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for your response! And happy bday . I haven't had surgery yet Oct will be my 6 month weigh in and then I'll be submitting for approval... Hope all goes as planned.
Guate Wife
on 9/29/11 2:51 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Are you on any anti-depressants?  Sorry, but praying just isn't going to do for you what medication will!  Don't go to your PCP for them, either.  Go to a shrink MD, one that can really figure out what you need.

You really really should do this.  Especially since you haven't had surgery yet.  MOST people experience depression post-op, so it is coming!  It can be temporary, maybe not.  Your body is going to be losing fat FAST, and a LOT of toxins are going to be being released from those fat cells deflating --- depression is often the result of that.  On top of that, your body is changing, how people react to you is changing.  So, meds combined with some good therapy is just the most wonderful gift you will give yourself, after the DS itself that is!

Since you are doing a 6 month diet, you may be experiencing some of this already.  Please, go see someone.  You don't have to suffer through this.

And, you DON'T have to celebrate your b-day with a nap on the sofa!  Go get your nails done.  Go to a movie (not one that will make you cry!).  And get yourself some good food!  Screw this pre-op diet BS!!  The DS is going to take care of all that for you soon enough.  Go enjoy your life!

Happy birthday, Tif     .

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:02 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks so much for the advice! I will find a shrink tomorrow and I think I will treat myself to a movie .
Guate Wife
on 9/29/11 3:17 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

Yay!!  Really, you're going to be going through so many changes, so fast.  You'll want someone in your corner that is all about YOU.  We're here for you, of course, but we can't give you the meds!  A good shrink MD will be able to modify as you need to.  I had to change things up.  For me, no more depression, but more anxiety --- just not used to not having 200# of extra protection!  It is different for everyone, so I think it is so good to establish that relationship pre-op.  You're going to have so many great things happen to you, too!!!

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 1:52 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I vote for Retail Therapy!!  Yes, get the soothers, but there's nothing like a new pair of shoes to make
you a happy girl!

Happy birthday!!
Twyla S.
on 9/29/11 3:35 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 She's right....get a shrink pronto!  They can give you something to help with that depression, and from all I've read about post op, you're going to need them.  I have my own recipe for depression....get you a boatload of sad songs, sad movies...whatever.....just cry it all out and be done with it.  Doesn't always work for everyone, but it's what my bipolar butt does when I'm depressed......anti depressants or not.  Sometimes you just need a good cry........
kellylink
on 9/29/11 4:00 pm
Just to follow up on what others have said, do not hesitate to get professional help.  This has been critical to my success.  There are so many changes ahead of you, build as strong of a support system as you can now!   Happiness/unhappiness/depression/the baggage we carry can impact our lives in so many ways that have nothing to do with the number on the scale or the size jean you wear.  I was depressed at size 22 and if I don't stay on my meds, talk to my doc, and do all the things I need to to take care of me I can also be depressed in a size 2.

Great job on being proactive!

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 5:15 pm - San Jose, CA
I echo what was said above.  Get help now, and keep with it as you recover and lose weight - there are many changes coming - and not all of them will be ones you thought you wanted.

But I also have to ask a question - is Blackstone your DS surgeon?  Have you checked his credentials?  I don't know him to be a DS surgeon at all, much less a vetted DS surgeon.  Please make sure you are putting yourself in the hands of someone who has the skills to do this.