One Week out, what about poop?

pktwatch
on 9/28/11 8:53 am
I am one week out of surgery and not worried about this but want to ask if it is normal. At two days out I had a couple of verry small verry loose stools while still in the hospital. I came home on day four and since that nothing. I feel a fart coming on and know to hurry to the bathroom but just get a large fart with some clear oily something or other and there is no smell at all??

I am eating exactly as I was told and am getting my vites and about 25 to 40 G of protein in per day.

What can I expect next and does this sound like the norm? BTW I am feeling fine.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/11 9:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds just fine to me. It will change, probably first in smell and later, as you add more solid foods, in consistency. The smell will be mostly due to more bile passing through at first. Bile has a very distinctive odor, vaguely reminiscent of something sour. It grosses a lot of people out :-/.

meredith_123
on 9/28/11 9:33 am - Waterford, MI
I had surgery on a Monday & didn't go until Saturday.  So it will be coming, I worried the same thing.  I'm sure everyone is a little different.
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:25 pm
Butch, I was in 6 days, and my bowel sounds didn't even begin until day 6.  Had loose small BM's a couple days out.  They incresed as i increased my fluids and protein.  Had a huge shart after drinking a bottle of Isopure, will never do that again!  LOL!

You're doing fine, mine didn't have odor at first either, thought I was going to be blessed and not have to suffer with that......WRONG!

Some days, I believe it's according to what I eat, I have frequent BM"s, and other days, just in the mornings and at bedtime.

I hope you aren't following their vite routine, if so, I believe you'll regret it.  I just recently have been able to get all my vites in, and that stopped with the dehydration.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in anyway.  You can always PM Chad, too.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Jody W.
on 9/29/11 12:59 am - Windsor, CT
Dont worry... It will come... and when it does...LOOK OUT!! LOL

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

lwoznick
on 9/29/11 11:43 am - Green Bay, WI
Oh, you aren't kidding about that Jody! She's right, Butch, it will come and be prepared when it does!

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:42 pm, edited 9/29/11 3:49 pm

The clear oily something is probably fat from what is fat you're not absorbing.  There is dietary fat in just about everything, even vegetables.

As you increase your diet, and add more solids and meat, the telltale DS stench will be there!  Hope you have a good strong exhaust fan *and* a window in the john!  Keep in mind:  the more carbs you take in, the worse the stench will be!  That's the other reason IMHO, for keeping the carbs as low as we do.  We just can't break down the sugars anymore, and the fermentation is what makes it stink so bad!

Actually, I think we should all approach the Department of Defense about supplying the raw material for a new military weapon!

Think of all the surrenders without a single bullet being fired!

Edited to add: make sure you keep your fluid intake up - fluids are the most important thing as early out as your are.

Welcome to the Dark Side!