Weird thing!

Blank Out
on 9/28/11 1:54 am
 My daughter was watching some old videos, and came up to me after and said that she realized that my voice has changed since I am smaller?  Then, my other daughter said, "oh yeah, I have noticed that too".   WTH?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 3:13 am - Underwood, ND
Haha weird!  So, is that a good thing?  Is it higher or lower?  haha
Blank Out
on 9/28/11 10:17 am
 I asked it it was higher or lower, and they said, neither, just different.  I cannot tell a difference at all!

DianaRR
on 9/28/11 7:12 am - CA
When I had surgery, the anesthesiologist had trouble getting the tubes past my vocal cords--I guess becuase of the fat on my neck. If there can be fat there, then you can lose fat there. That would change your voice.

Blank Out
on 9/28/11 10:19 am
 I imagine so!  Also, weight in the diaphram as well.  I've been told that is why opera singers of old were always heavy.  That is where the saying "it ain't over til the fat lady sings".  I was told this by a professional opera singer.

Udamnskippy
on 9/28/11 4:33 pm - Port Orchard, WA
As far as males I have noticed a change in other men who have had massive weight loss.... But I cant tell of myself... The density of the chest cavity will change the pitch or tone of a voice.. Most say my voice has gone higher..... hmmmm great !
kramer5
on 9/29/11 12:10 am - Washington, KS
My voice has changed but we think it's due to the endoscopy and not the surgery.  I don't go under well and Versed does not work on me (which I told my surgeon...ggrrr).  They, of course, gave me Versed to do the endoscopy and when I wouldn't go under explained that they would have to do it while I was awake.  It was the most tramatic procedure I've ever had and I've had quite a few.  They kept telling me to relax and not retch (I couldn't relax and continued to retch).  I mean really, you shove something that long down my throat and expect me not to retch and be relaxed?  Since then my voice has a more gravely sound (my husband says it's sultry but I think he's just trying to get on my good side).  My PCP said that it will probably stay this way because any swelling that might have caused it should be gone by now.  Oh well, maybe hubby's right and I'll be thin and sultry some day.
Dawn

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:00 am
You don't really go "under" with Versed, you remain awake, they have to do EGDs with you awake so you don't aspirate.  You just don't recall anything when it's over, it's like the Versed gives you  amnesia to the event.  But given that you remember everything so vividly, it's clear it didn't work! 

What you experienced is unacceptable.  They can give you medicine (for me it was a spray) that stops your gag reflex and they also gave me something to relax and kill the pain.  It was a doozy but I don't recall which one they used (the Versed apparently worked for me!).  So I suspect, even without the Versed, I wouldn't have been as uncomfortable as you.

I tell you this because my DS surgeon did my EGD.  I am PRAYING that your surgeon is not the one who performed this.  Are you pre-op DS?  I saw your Band but didn't see any surgeon info on your avatar.  I can't believe they would allow this to happen with all the drugs available. Makes you wonder about the protocol in the hospital....
kramer5
on 9/29/11 3:07 am - Washington, KS
I'm post-op and it was my surgeon and I was so angry with him and his staff, and he knew it.  I was angry because I had told him weeks before that Versed doesn't work on me (I found out the hard way when I had a lumpectomy done and they thought they'd do it all with Versed and didn't get an anethesiologist and when I wouldn't go to la-la land they had to do the 1.5 hour procedure with nothing but those damn numbing shots).  Now my local surgeon knows to knock me out, and good.  It was very quick but it was still so scary and quite painful (probably because I was fighting it even though I tried not to).

On another note...I don't know how to change my surgery/surgeon/date info under my name for my new info.  Can anyone give me a hand?

Dawn

Renee2007
on 9/29/11 3:28 am - Central, FL
 At the top of the page click on "My Account" then on the left hand side under your picture is a list. Click on My Journey. It allows you to add your surgeon and stuff there.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150