Taller after weight loss?!

no_more_rolls
on 9/27/11 5:03 am - Jackson, MI
I thought this was odd and wanted to share.  

Fifteen to twenty years ago I used to measure 5' 7" tall...but as I grew older I was told I was shrinking.  I just put it off as being related to arthritis, getting older, or an inaccurate measurement.  My primary care provider's office measures me everytime I come into the office...and all year I have measured 5' 5".  Today while at the office, in the same spot as usual, with my shoes off, I measured 5' 6.5"  (actually 170cm). OMG I got taller!  Nope, my doctor said I probably just have better posture since losing weight, in turn making me taller (again).

Has this happened to anyone else post-op?
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

airbender
on 9/27/11 5:07 am
this is not odd at all, height changes by many factors, we can be an inch or more shorter in the pm due to spinal compression so depending on when your appts are and when they measure you this can make a difference.  your posture is also I am sure better now.........great things with weight loss....
no_more_rolls
on 9/27/11 5:41 am - Jackson, MI
My appointments are usually around the same time...for convenience.  Maybe next time I will go late day to see if there is a difference.  I'm still in awe!  

Guate Wife
on 9/27/11 5:27 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Yep, Dr. Kemmeter gave me back 1/2" of height!

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

no_more_rolls
on 9/27/11 5:43 am - Jackson, MI
 I have nothing but  for Dr. K!

RhondaRoo
on 9/28/11 9:48 am - OH
hijack -- and I'm a proud Gringa momma to two Guatemalan beauties!
RhondaRoo 256/235.5/131.8/120.0
Never, Never, Never Give Up  --Winston Churchill

Guate Wife
on 9/28/11 10:48 am - Grand Rapids, MI

Lucky lady!!  We don't have any children, but have considered adoption so many times.  We always get caught up in larger projects and spend so much time in Guatemala during the year that it would be difficult unless we did some sort of home schooling or schooling in both countries.  I'm for it, he is against it, so we keep putting it off!  I would want my children raised as hippies, he wants them raised as American as they could be.

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 8:13 am
Something else to look forward to!  I've lost about an 3/4 of an inch in the last decade or so. Maybe I will gain some of that back?!
goodkel
on 9/27/11 9:02 am
Can go either way. I've read of people gaining height when all that weight was not longer compressing their spine. I've also read of people losing height because of losing fat from the soles of their feet.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Elizabeth N.
on 9/27/11 12:08 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, I gained an inch in height, however it works.