OT--Anyone have neck surgery post DS?

KarenFlorida
on 9/28/11 11:25 am - Orlando, FL
Have you tried epidural steroid injections? If not, ask your surgeon whether he thinks that would be worth trying before deciding on surgery. It depends on the severity of your problem.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

scubadiva
on 9/28/11 12:13 pm
Seeing a second neurosurgeon tomorrow and will ask.  Tried oral steroids and didn't get much relief at all. 
gak
on 9/28/11 1:01 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Scuba,

I had cervical fusion pre-DS after injury on the job. I had the numbness down the arms and into the hands and the fingers.  My quality of life was so much better afterwards, after the healing process. I remember waking up from surgery and not having pain in my arms. What a blessing that was. Recovery was slow, but I could not of lived with the pain I was in at the time.

I think once you have another consultation or maybe more, evaluate your options and go from there. With the kind of pain your describing just going on disability will still be a poor quality of life. If all docs recommend surgery be sure you pick the best. Improve your pain, take the time you need to heal properly. The neck brace is not all that bad. I had to wear a halo for awhile. I was not allowed to drive for many months. 

With PT not working, chiro won't touch you based on your MRI, tells a lot. You took care of your healthy with the DS, do the same with cervical issues... research, get multiple opinions, make an educated choice and fix what's wrong.  Let me know if I can add anything else.

While mine was years ago, I still remember how wonderful it was to wake up from surgery with little pain, it was amazing ! I do have weight limits to this day, but I am not in extreme pain daily, only when I over do my limits.

Good luck ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

scubadiva
on 9/28/11 7:18 pm
Ginger!  Thank you for responding.  It's 4 a.m.  I'm awake because of arm pain.  I can't sleep the whole night.  No, I can't take the pain like this forever.  I can only sleep on my back on 2-3 pillows.... I have not been able to lie flat in 4 weeks since this suddenly happened for NO reason that I can think of.

What scared me about this surgery is that they go in from the front and sometimes the front AND back of the neck and swallowing may permanently be an issue after surgery.  That would be bad for me with all the vitamins I chug at one time... 7 times a day.  I have consults scheduled with 3 recommended neurosurgeons in Houston.  Have a feeling all 3 will recommend surgery.  I will pick the best.  hard to know who is THE BEST.  I took 2 years to research THE BEST surgeon for my DS surgery but now I'm in constant pain... and it's harder to think.

I've read horror stories (of course)... as every surgery has... especially ten years or even a few years out from neck surgery.  do you find that your other discs are becoming bad?  headaches?   scar tissue that still causes neck pain?  at this point, i think I am going to have to take my chances though....

Thanks for your reply and any other info you want to share.
gak
on 9/29/11 9:11 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Scuba, 

Sorry you can't sleep well, that is not a good sign at all !

Yes I was told a ton of horror stories on the surgery as well. Yes they went thru the front of the neck, in a natural crease. It is a very fine line and you really have to look now to see it. By the time I was done wearing the neck brace you really could hardly tell the incision line. 

I remember them asking if I was a singer and I never have been, other than to myself. DH actually said my singing improved after the disc fusion. I was fused at levels... C2-3, C3-4 and C4-5. I never had any issues swallowing afterwards. I do remember using a straw initially post-op for drinking for some time.. the flexible ones were great with that neck brace !  

I seldom have headaches. I never really had many beforehand either, unless I was really overtired. No scar tissue issues either. I get sometimes a burning sensation when I overdo it, that is a sign to me that I have done too much. I have found post-op that high chairs and chairs with arms help as they are more supportive... i.e. a good reclincer that fits your height will be very valuable

I do not know if they have talked to you about donor bone or self donating of bone. I was scared to use donor bone and used my own. If I ever had to do it again, I would use donor bone only as the site (my one hip)  they took my bone from hurt like H*LL afterwards and took a long time to heal.  I had decided on my own bone as I have a ton of allergies, which was the reason I made this decision. I have known others who used donor bone and they had no problems at all with it .  

My fusion was in 1995 and I can't imagine not doing it and living in the sort of pain you are in. When my injury happened, I really did not have a choice. I had lost grip in my hands. I had a lot of pain pre-op as it happened at work.  Mine was done a few days before Christopher Reeves was thrown from his horse. I remember in the hospital being thankful that I was not paralyzed. Talk about an instant attitude adjustment !   when I saw his accident on the news. 

Do realize, that depending on which discs are bulging or herniated, there can be many other issues if you do not fix them. I know it's scary, but it really was not so bad, other than I tend to be an impatient person. I am glad I did it. I imagine since you are post DS, it will be easier than what it was when I did it pre-DS.   

Oh how are your calcium  levels ? I have not had other MRI's lately, but I have not a reason to have one either. I am very vigilent with my calcium intake. I just had labs done and I am awaiting the results of how my calcium is doing. 

Here is a cool 3D spine simulator.. click on the level that they tell you needs surgery and it will tell you what body parts and which nerves in the body are affected. It is really neat and will help you understand how it all affects the body. ( I know this guys Dad and  I love this simulator) 
http://www.richterfamilychiro.com/3d_spine/nerve_chart/index.htm

Let me know if you have other questions. I will try to answer them. I know it's hard to know who is best for this procedure, but I bet you can make a good decision with this as well. 

Hope I covered lots to  help you. 

Ginger<><  

scubadiva
on 9/29/11 11:45 am
Thank you so much Ginger.  I don't have a choice now either.  Met with another neurosurgeon today.  I liked him and will go with him.  I work at a hospital and he works at the same hosp.  Known for excellence in neurology and neurosurgery...  I will have anterior cervical discectomy with fusion... I think that is what it is called.  C4-5 and C6-7.  Titanium screws/plate.. He is going on vacation... leaves tomorrow... but I'm first on his list when he returns on October 11th.  i am to wear a neck brace at all times day and night until surgery.  I told him I've been very emotional lately and then he said he was going to give me a medication to make me even more emotional... a stronger steroid... so he has a sense of humor that I appreciate.   I'm 3 year post op DS.  My calcium labs were on the low end of normal.  I get my bad bones from my father. He died at the age of 59 from complications from a back surgery and was a chronic pain patient for 20 years until he died.  That is my number one fear--to live in constant pain.  Anyway...  Neuro said I may need more surgery on my  neck in the future.   yes, I am at a normal weight which i very much appreciate.  I just hope the DS doesn't exasperate my bone issues further.  Thanks again for answering my questions and taking the time to reply!
gak
on 9/29/11 12:11 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
You are very welcome. How I love steroids when things are inflammed. I like his plan of increased steroids and the neck brace. The steroids will help with inflammation and which will help him for the surgery. Sounds like you have made a great decision on picking the right doc. It is great he has a great reputation and you are familar with him as well. That makes it easier I think.

Did he or anyone else make recommendations on increasing your calcium, Vit D3, magnesium and are you taking Vit K as well ?  I am also fighting osteoporosis and have been on Forteo for almost 2  yrs which is the limit.  I have been working with an awesome endo and my bones are improving.  Do beware as steroids are bad for our bones even though they are miracles for other issues.  You can counteract your bone issues with increased supplements. I do not know how much your taking, but if your at the low end of the scale, you need to increase them.

Hang in there.. you will wake up with little pain compared to now, it will be more surgical pain, than back/nerve/cervical pain if that makes sense.

Ginger<><