OT--Anyone have neck surgery post DS?

scubadiva
on 9/27/11 11:20 pm
I'm freaking out so much.  I have two bad discs and have been referred to a neurosurgeon for surgery on C5-6.  I met with one yesterday and it involves 6-8 weeks off work at a minimum, 8 weeks with no driving, and 3 months in a neck brace.   He spoke fast but I think that is what he said...

Now I'm thinking after seeing the surgery on youtube.... that I can't go through with it.  I have so much arm pain and some neck pain... but mostly arm pain.  I took a percocet last night and actually slept for 6 hours straight.  I had the percocet left over from my DS surgery.  Otherwise, the vicoden they gave me doesn't work and I hardly sleep at night.  That makes me wonder if we malabsorb pain meds...

I'm freaking out that I will bleed, have a clot, not heal, not fuse... whatever... need an iron infusion... something will go wrong and if I'm going to die.... well,  I might just as well live with the arm pain and be on disability than dead, right?

I haven't been able to work... since Friday of last week because the pain became so bad.  That is so not like me.  I am only 39 and I love my job.   I have another consult with another neurosurgeon this Thursday for a second opinion.  I already tried PT... couldn't take the pain, and a chiro wouldn't touch me based on my MRI.

So... here I am... in pain.... wondering if neck surgery is worth it or should I just go on disability???  Just my rambling off topic thoughts.   This isn't DS related.  I also didn't have any injury to bring this on.  The neck pain came on suddenly for no apparent reason.  Feeling SO sorry for myself.  Ugh.
Terri553
on 9/28/11 12:00 am
Yes, I did and I sent you a message. I am sorry you are hurting, there is no pain like neck pain!
scubadiva
on 9/28/11 4:00 am
Thank you for sharing your experience!   Yes, I'm sure this is one of many bumps in the road of my life... 

Kayla B.
on 9/28/11 12:09 am - Austin, TX
I'd definitely get at least one or two other consults for a surgery so major.

You're too young for this!

What about the after-surgery prognosis?  Good results?

Don'****ch the youtube stuff...you always freak out too much!  I'd think of it more in the way that this is going to be a lot easier at this size than if you were bigger.  More potential post op complications that way.

3 months of huge inconvenience vs. the rest of your life not living up to your potential at work, being in pain.  Easy decision! (considering prognosis is good...).
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
scubadiva
on 9/28/11 3:58 am
I have another neurosurgery consult tomorrow.  Too many have said I need surgery though.  Yes, I am too young for this!  I'll stay off youtube.  lol
Amanda S.
on 9/28/11 3:31 am - New York, NY
I am so sorry you are going through this!!  Social Security Disability sucks for situations like this.  The regular disability insurance through work covers situations like this.  I know since I work for Social Security Disability.  As far as the surgery.  If you are having so much pain that you can't stand it at all and it is a quaility of life issue, then I would say do it. A family member of mine just went through neck surgery because of pain and numbness in his fingers and he is about 68 or 69 and he made it through just fine.  Stay off You tube!! LOL  You can PM me if you have any questions.

Take care

Amanda

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

scubadiva
on 9/28/11 4:02 am
I am planning on using short term disability through work... I have long term disability too.  I hope I won't have to use it.  Thanks for responding.  Yes, my quality of life isn't the greatest now.  I will need to get the surgery or risk becoming a drug addict I think.
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 11:50 am
 Hi, I had my cervical spine fused several years ago, so not it was not after the DS.

But I can tell you that I was really glad that I had it done. I was in my early 40s at the time, and had pain in my arm and shoulder for years and just never connected it with the cervical spine.
After surgery I was not able to drive for like 6 weeks, but just moving around and doing normal things I had no problem while i wore the neck brace. It was not terrible painful and i was only 2 days in the hospital.
I had to be fused from C2 down to C7, but amazingly I still have quit a bit of movement in my neck, more then I ever thought I would have. 
Naturally this is nothing you want to do unless it is your last option but don't be afraid of it, it can actually give you back more movement without the pain. Just make sure you see a very well recommended surgeon.
Good Luck.
I feel for you.

Inge
scubadiva
on 9/28/11 12:11 pm
Thank you Inge.  No arm pain would be nice... your story is reassuring.
Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:35 am
Wishing you the best and pray you get the correct info to make the best decision!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!