newbie, confused about surgery choice.

elixir
on 9/26/11 5:15 am, edited 9/26/11 5:17 am - MI
I had a doctor recommend the RNY to me so I researched it a bit. When I went in to meet with my SURGEON I had a laundry list of issues regarding the RNY that I was not happy about:

1. No NSAIDS. I have knee and back pain and need to take Motrin on occasion to control it. (I am happy to say however that since my surgery the knee pain has stopped.) No NSAIDS w/RNY. Ever.

2. No caffeine. I am not a coffee drinker, but I am hooked on XS Energy drinks. Especially the Naranja Blast & the Cran-Grape. (They are sugar free so I don't have to worry about carbs.) I would have been very unhappy without my XS.

3. No drinking w/meals. With the RNY you can't drink for half an hour before or 45 minutes after eating. WTF? I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. 

So after I went through my list of complaints my surgeon recommended the DUODENAL SWITCH for me. He said at my weight it would give me the best chance of LOSING the weight that I needed to lose and the best chance of KEEPING IT OFF. There are several girls in my office who have had RNY and all but one have put at least HALF, if not all of the weight they lost right back on again. I didn't want that to happen to me. Also, my SURGEON explained that a DSers diet is similar to the Atkins diet. I had done Atkins in the past and liked it so I knew it wouldn't be a problem for me. 

I'm about three months and three weeks out from my surgery. I think I made the right choice for me. I had five pieces of bacon for breakfast this morning and a couple slices of spicy sausage for lunch. I'm going to go make an egg fried in real butter right now and eat it with a piece of low-carb toast soaked with butter. For dinner we're having shrimp with Alfredo sauce. My daughter will have hers on regular noodles and I''ll have mine on well rinsed shirataki (tofu) noodles. By the end of the day I will have taken enough vitamins to choke a horse, but I'm OK w/that as the benefits of the surgery far outweigh the irritation of choking down all the vitamins. Oh, and I'm down almost 70 pounds which I know will never come back. It feels liberating.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

pauliegirl69
on 9/26/11 5:15 am - NJ
your diet should count long as you can get the documented paper work from that doctor.... when you go to your new DS doctor, if you decide to change that is...

Best of luck
beemerbeeper
on 9/26/11 6:05 am - AL
I had never heard of the DS when I decided to have surgery.  Once I learned about the benefits of the DS, especially:
best cure rate for Type II Diabetes
best long term stats for KEEPING the weight off
I was so sold.

I am two years out this month and I am thrilled with my success and I know I am going to be successful long term.

Here's some good info for you:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4454843/Considering-the-RnY- Please-educate-yourself-These-threads/

Becky

Sexyvt123
on 9/26/11 6:43 am
Hello Vanessa

I had the lapband back in 2008 and it failed me.  I lost a total of 30pd pre op and it all came right back.  Towards the end of 2010 I decided on having a revision done.  I went to my doctor who had done the lapband for me and she recommended I do the RNY.  I was never a fan of the RNY but I had trust her and said what the hell just do it.  When they started all the paper work to submit to the insurance my coordinator once again was being an ass and not doing her job again this second time around.  I got so upset that I decided that I was going to look for another doctor and research more into the sleeve and DS.  After seeing my new doctor and doing all my homework I went with the DS.  Today I am one week post op and strongly believe I made the right decision.  Do your research and pick which surgery is best for your needs.

Vonett

ginany
on 9/26/11 7:05 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Vonett, how are you feeling?
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Sexyvt123
on 9/26/11 10:00 am
Hi Gina im feeling pretty good.  Today was my first ruff day because I had a lot of bad gas.  I drank cold water today which I think mess my stomach up, but besides that im good.  No complaints

no_more_rolls
on 9/26/11 6:52 am, edited 9/25/11 6:55 pm - Jackson, MI
Even though you are not a revision, I suggest you visit/read that board too. Only you can make the decision on what WLS is right for you, but reading the revision board was enough to help me make up my mind.

Oh...this sounds silly, but I love food too much to limit my calories too. I have some personal friends that have the RNY and when I saw how little they ate in comparison to what I read a DS'er could have...it gave me another reason.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

smileyjamie72
on 9/26/11 7:02 am - Palmer, AK

Second what Larra said about the regain with the RNY, hell, I am LIVING that!!!!  I had RNY in 2002, and I have gained back 50% of my weight & still fighting with the insurance company to have a revision to the DS (almost 3 years later), and the latest denial from my appeal is that I am still "successful" with my RNY, sitting at 248 pounds right now.  A success?????

Reasearch, Research, Research!!!!!!!  And make the best INFORMED decision for YOU!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

ginany
on 9/26/11 7:07 am - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I totally regret my RNY and wished I did more homework back in 2006 when I first did it.  I just wanted WLS so bad and i really didnt know any better than either that or lab band. 
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Lori F.
on 9/26/11 8:14 am - Chula Vista, CA
You know- just like Genany said, I, too, just wanted a surgery to help me. I was offered the band and the RNY in 2007. There was a poster in my doc's office with the description of the DS but it had a big black X through it. When I asked why, he just said, "Oh, that's too big of an operation for you." And I believed him. I also believed him, four years later, when he told me the RNY was my only other option since my band disaster. I asked about the DS again and why he didn't do it. "Too complicated," he said, and "I've seen too many complications with it" (how can he SEE anything of he doesn't do it??). I told him I was looking into it and...I found OH. Keep reading, but even if it takes three years, don't get an RNY. Just MHO! I don't have a DS yet but I'm not settling this time. Do it right the first time.
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49