DS- The cure for the common hangover??

looking4loss
on 9/27/11 1:57 am - Overton, NE
I know this is sort of a weird post, but after I completed the transfer addiction survey, I had to post this. 

I know that I'm having a transfer addiction to alcohol.  The good thing is that I recognize this, and have been making efforts to stop having a drink in the evening and going to my local fitness center instead.  

Now, with that said, before my revelation, I had been drinking quite heavily and often.  Before surgery, if I even had ONE too many, I would be extremely sick and hung over the next day.  Now, I can drink large amounts and have absolutely zero effects the next day. 

I know I'm asking for it with this hot topic, but has anyone else experienced the same effect?
no_more_rolls
on 9/27/11 3:46 am - Jackson, MI
I have not experienced this, however I have seen posts about this on the mental health forum and have 2 friends that went through these issues post WLS.  There is also a group here on OH but I do not know the link.  

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.  I highly recommend counseling.  Perhaps with someone that specializes in bariatric patients or transfer addiction problems.  

I wish you the best!  
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

no_more_rolls
on 9/27/11 3:56 am, edited 9/27/11 3:56 am - Jackson, MI
I found the group!  Crossing to Transfer Addictions.  They may be able to help you there too. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddictions/
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 4:01 am - Reeseville, WI

I work part time, so I have a lot of days off.  I'm a drunk.  On my days off I wake up, have a protein coffee, take my pills and vites, then start in on the rum and coke.  Today I got up at about 9:30 and have been drinking since 10:30.

What is strange is that I will take a nap soon and wake up totally sober with no hangover.  I can drink half of a big bottle of rum a day and not be falling down drunk.  I've steadily making my drinks stronger and stronger.  

Every day I say I'll quite after my bottle is done, but I don't.  I hate the days I work, because I have to wait all day and evening to get to my rum.  

It's that I don't know what to do with myself when sober and I'm so anxious I can't stand it.  Can we say self medicating?  

Yes, I have a pdoc and take four psych meds a day plus anti anxiety as needed and could take sleeping pills, which I have and don't take because of the booze, but I don't want to take those because they are addictive. (Yep, that is stupid.)

Please, don't have a drink it can lead to feeling good and become a habit. 

Julie R.
on 9/27/11 9:05 am - Ludington, MI
 Kaffy - please try to find a rehab program and get yourself into it.   I think AA might not be enough for you.    As a member of this board, it's really painful to see you killing yourself this way.   Does your psych doc know you are drinking?

I'm not saying this in a derogatory way - but how did you manage to get psych clearance?   Were you drinking heavily before your DS?    

Please, PLEASE get some help.   I am very concerned for you.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/11 5:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Kaffy, honey, you belong in residential treatment RIGHT NOW. You are courting suicide daily. If I were your counselor, I would be giving you the choice between checking yourself in voluntarily or me making that call for you.

You are in danger. Please get safe. Do it NOW.

12 stepping is not going to do it for you. Your brain is addled in ways that trying to do this on an outpatient basis could kill or cripple you.

Stop lying to yourself and to your doctors and get REAL HELP.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/29/11 10:30 pm
On September 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM Pacific Time, kaffy123 wrote:

I work part time, so I have a lot of days off.  I'm a drunk.  On my days off I wake up, have a protein coffee, take my pills and vites, then start in on the rum and coke.  Today I got up at about 9:30 and have been drinking since 10:30.

What is strange is that I will take a nap soon and wake up totally sober with no hangover.  I can drink half of a big bottle of rum a day and not be falling down drunk.  I've steadily making my drinks stronger and stronger.  

Every day I say I'll quite after my bottle is done, but I don't.  I hate the days I work, because I have to wait all day and evening to get to my rum.  

It's that I don't know what to do with myself when sober and I'm so anxious I can't stand it.  Can we say self medicating?  

Yes, I have a pdoc and take four psych meds a day plus anti anxiety as needed and could take sleeping pills, which I have and don't take because of the booze, but I don't want to take those because they are addictive. (Yep, that is stupid.)

Please, don't have a drink it can lead to feeling good and become a habit. 

Kelly

I remember you posting on R&R (rarely) back in those days; I think you were pre-op.

you were witty so I PM'd you - I love it when people make me laugh. but you were sad and your husband was drinking and you were passive. you weren't drinking yet, were you?

since you have posted about this, at least a part of you doesn't want to die. Post or PM somebody here. 

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

looking4loss
on 9/27/11 4:14 am - Overton, NE
Thanks for the posts, guys.  I know this is a very sensitive and personal topic, so wasn't sure what response I would get.

I will definitely look at that group, because I've been looking for a place to start.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 5:10 am - Saint Louis, MO
I don't drink very often any more, but I too have found that I don't get hangovers.  I don't know if it's because I'm a lot better hydrated now than I ever was or what?
looking4loss
on 9/27/11 5:18 am - Overton, NE
Sandy, from what I'm gathering, it's not so much that, but the fact that our body metabolizes alcohol so much differently now.  It's a double-edged sword, because it's so wonderful not to have a hangover, but I am much more likely to go overboard, knowing I'm not going to have a hangover.  It's very different from what I'm used to.