Can I really afford the DS?

Imissthe80s
on 9/27/11 3:52 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I was just paranoid for some reason that my doctor wouldn't code it correctly or the insurance wouldn't pay no matter what, but after hearing you guys, I feel a bit better about labs being covered.

Catnip
on 9/26/11 12:03 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I think you should also take into account that skinnier people have better employment opportunties and get better pay.  

CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Imissthe80s
on 9/27/11 3:49 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
CNC-

Exactly! I also continue to think of that old saying, "You have to spend money to make money."  I feel like the first year of the DS might be a little bit costly, but what gains am I gonna have on the long run? Probably things I can't even imagine in the "fat cloud" that I'm in.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/11 1:11 pm
This decision is yours alone to make. 

I will leave you with this - you will not be in the same financial situation forever.  You are young and your cir****tances could get worse but they could get better.  And WORST case scenario, if you lose your insurance, then you cut your cable, pay for your supplements and apply for free care at the hospital.  No one will let you die of malnutrition in the street.  I promise.  :)
Ann M.
on 9/26/11 1:25 pm - GA
Keep in mind under HCR you will have options other than COBRA. The insurance exchanges and high risk insurance pools are already being set up (if they didn't exist in your state before). There is currently insurance offered through CMS to provide 'bridge coverage' to those who are currently uninsured to go ahead and get insurance. And if you are in financial dire straits you would likely qualify for subsidized health care. Also, remember the farther out you get the less likely you need to pull blood work every few months.

It is prudent to consider your financial situation with the DS. I think everyone is nervous about finances right now. But also be realistic. You would have options.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

newyorkbitch
on 9/26/11 3:15 pm
I just want to correct something - it is not true that the further out you get the less you need to get bloodwork every few months.  I am 11.5 years out and I get labs done 3 times a year and I always will.

Twyla S.
on 9/27/11 3:16 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Well, here's my 2 cents worth.....1.  Your grocery bill will probably be lower  2.  Your health is worth more than having cable  3.  DIABETES IS EXPENSIVE, and very probable with SMO, you're lucky if you don't have it now  4.  Pain meds for the arthritis, degenerative bone stuff, back pain, etc, gets really pricey  5. STALK the nutrition stores and check for sales.  If I"m not mistaken, I've read of several on here that get vites and shakes at nutrition stores or wally world.

It's all about priorties.  Your health, while you're young should be at the TOP of the list.  You have a whole lot of life left, and it can be spent fat, depressed, unhealthy and lonely, or it can be more awesome than we as preops can imagine.  That's just my take on things as a preop.  I'm willing to be even cheaper than I am---and I'm as cheap as you get--in order to be healthy for the rest of my life.  I"m poor as a church mouse and on disability, so I completely understand the whole "affordability" thing.  Good luck to you....
Imissthe80s
on 9/27/11 4:13 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
"You have a whole lot of life left, and it can be spent fat, depressed, unhealthy and lonely, or it can be more awesome than we as preops can imagine."

Yep.  As I mentioned above, I'm sorta in a "fat cloud" and my reality is not the best reality to gauge my future by.  There's so much I can't even dream of.