Kidney stones and vitamin cost cutting BLABBERINGS

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/25/11 3:17 pm

A few of us CAN spend less on vitamins.

Listen up fellow kidney stone makers. If you aren't already, you will likely need things like industrial strength potassium (urocit-K), craploads of calcium (like with EVERY thing you eat) and co-factors that help like magnesium and b vitamins to stave off stones. I'd have prescription D as well, if it were available via prescription in a non-oil dry form. These all contribute to preventing stones (and none of them on their own will do the trick if you are a stone maker - it takes ALL of these to MAYBE get the benefit). They are now considering pro-biotics too.

So mostly because of kidney stones, I can now get with insurance:
Iron
Calcium Citrate
B vitamins
Magnesium
Potassium
and in the future, likely probiocs and D.

My optometrist was questioning A as well. If you have health issues it's worth looking into what might be helped with supplements, and getting insurance to cover them.

Twi light
on 9/25/11 4:16 pm - NY
But this really depends on how good your RX coverage is.. My RX is 3 tier copay, 20, 35, 50.... For a lot of stuff it is not worth it ... If you are lucky enough to have great RX coverage it would be worth a shot even without the kidney stones since there is medical necessity for supplementation .

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/26/11 1:51 am
Yes, my last coverage was like that, and I just changed to hubby insurance. 

My doctor had been very nice to write prescriptions for all the vitamin things she could, since so many are now deemed necessary, but I didn't bother with the tiered copays. Now that I don't have that (and am praying it doesn't go back to that in 6 months) I'm making hay and having them cover everything possible.

Julie R.
on 9/26/11 1:55 am - Ludington, MI
WOW - thank you for that PSA!
Did you know that there is a probiotic out there, I think it's called o. formigenes, that is supposed to reduce kidney stone formation by 70%?   About a year ago, I tried to track it down, and it was in stage 3 clinical trials at that time.   They told me it should be on the market within a year.   I'm going to be seeing a new endo doc soon, so if I find anything else out, I'll pass it on. 
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 9/26/11 2:02 am
I would appreciate hearing anything you find out on it.

I'm pretty sure that is the study my nephrologist was telling me about last time there, and we hoped he could add those to my regime in a few months.
Julie R.
on 9/26/11 3:32 am - Ludington, MI
GOOD!  I hope that means it is finally being  marketed!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

clancyrose
on 9/26/11 10:34 am - Montgomeryville, PA
i have great insurance..can we use vitalady with scripts?
Twi light
on 9/26/11 10:42 am - NY
only way would be for you to purchase and then submit your own claim asking for reimbursment.