Hubby got me a juicer, can I use it?

AllieInOntario
on 9/24/11 6:31 am
You can use it to make soups and stuff too. FWIW.  Squash soup, cream of celery, broccoli or whatever.   

Or use it to make lemon, lime or strawberry icecubes.  Mush em up, put them into a ice cube tray to put in your water.

To get some water in early, I did spike my water with some Oasis strawberry/kiwi juice.  Just enough to color it and sort of give it a taste, if you know what I mean.  For what little I was eating for the first month, I experimented to try to get my liquids in. 

Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

beth-28
on 9/24/11 7:01 am
Thanks everyone! I didn't realize I could make my own soups with it. And the ice cube idea sounds great.

I'm sure hubby and kids will use it alot,  they love juice. I like juice, but I don't drink it often, so not being able to make/drink juice post-op won't be a big loss for me. Of course, now that I say that, I'll probably crave it after surgery. 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

newyorkbitch
on 9/24/11 7:27 am
IMHO,  fruit juice is not a great thing for anybody to drink in quantity.  It's full of sugar,  and has none of the fiber benefits of whole fruit.
goodkel
on 9/24/11 7:31 am
I copied this from another post in case you miss it. Just to give you an idea:

Stats from the USDA web site:

One serving of red seedless grapes=20 grams of sugar/carbs of their 88 calories, 80 are from sugar.

One cup of cantalope=13 grams of sugar of 54 calories, 52 are from sugar.

One navel orange=23 grams of sugar of 132 calories, 92 are from sugar.
(and how many do you need to fill one tumbler of juice?)

One apple=23 grams, of 116 calories, 92 are from sugar.

One banana=17 grams, of 125 calories, 68 are from sugar.

Not that we have to count calories--just carbs. But, I wanted to give you a picture of how much fruit is composed of sugar.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Kayla B.
on 9/24/11 12:15 pm - Austin, TX
Aw, that is pretty sweet of him!  I totally want a juicer...but mostly for veggie juice.

Fruit juice is going to be too concentrated and in general, not a fabulous idea.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beth-28
on 9/24/11 5:23 pm
goodkel,

That really puts things into perspective! I never really thought about sugar in fruit. I knew not to get canned friut that was in syrup, but I never thought that there was too much sugar in fresh fruit. I'm glad I asked before I have surgery, because I thought juicing fresh fruit that wasn't processed or anything would be ok.

I am really thankful to all of you vets that share your knowledge. We newbies would make so many mistakes without it!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

beemerbeeper
on 9/25/11 5:41 am - AL
Juice = liquid carbs.  Not something I would ever do, even at maintenance.

~Becky