Hubby got me a juicer, can I use it?

beth-28
on 9/24/11 4:58 am

Dear hubby recently passed the 5 year mark at his work. You all know how it works....you get a pin or something with the company logo on it and then you get to pick out a gift from a selection.

Hubby says the only thing he saw that wasn't cheezy was this Black and Decker Juicer, so he got that thinking that I might be able to use it. (He's so sweet!)

So, can I use it after getting the DS? I know tha****er, water, water comes first, but can we have friut juice with no added sugar?

When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

goodkel
on 9/24/11 5:06 am
No, no, no!

You don't need to add sugar to juice. Juice is already FULL of it. And juiced is even worse because it take so much fruit to fill a glass.

Eating a few berries or chunks of watermelon is one thing, but juices in general should be avoided like full sugar soda.

Can he trade it in for a jerky maker?
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 5:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
Only if you want to die of gas attacks. Fruit is full of sugar, and turning into juice makes it all that much faster to absorb.

I suppose you might do some veggie juice and see how that goes, but I suspect that'll be problematic as well.

You can use it for HIM, though :-).

newyorkbitch
on 9/24/11 5:23 am
Fruit juice is full of absorbable carbs.  Drink it very sparingly.  Fruits should be eaten sparingly too.

However,  I have a juicer and I use it all the time - I juice vegetables and add a little bit of fruit just for flavor.

For example I juice various combinations of: carrots,  cukes,  celery, beets,  ginger, parsley, lemon, lime, cabbage,  spinach, kale...and sometimes I add a little apple or pear for flavor.

I love these juices,  they are full of nutrients,  low carb,  and don't give me the gas/bloating issues that eating all of those things whole (fibrous) can do.  Plus I need to get lots of fluid in and drinking these (because they are so full of flavor) is a great way to do that pleasurably.  And no artificial sweeteners in there,  which is also helpful because of gas/bloating issues that some people get from them.

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 7:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
Oooo, carrot/cuke juice sounds yummy. I'm not an enthusiastic juicer, but I own one. That might be worth a try.

MajorMom
on 9/24/11 5:25 am - VA
Veggie juice like V8 is a good idea in moderation.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 9/24/11 5:36 am
If you're going to buy V8,  get the low sodium one.  The regular one is so full of sodium it's unbelievable. 

Also it's got a lot of tomato in it (big tomato ratio) which is pretty acidic and relatively carb-rich compared to many other vegetables.

When you juice your own,  you can customize your blend to make them how you want/need/like.

MajorMom
on 9/24/11 5:47 am - VA
Roget that. I get the low sodium and then add Morton's Lite Salt. I guess I average 2 cups a week.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

goodkel
on 9/24/11 7:34 am
On September 24, 2011 at 12:25 PM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
Veggie juice like V8 is a good idea in moderation.

--g

Especially with a splash of Worcestershire and a shot of vodka.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MajorMom
on 9/24/11 8:13 am - VA
lol Oh, yeah!

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!