Does this feeling ever go away?

Sexyvt123
on 9/24/11 6:35 am
Why is it so important to avoind fruit and sugar?  I always thought fruit was a natural sugar?  I read other post where people use fruit to make their protien shakes.  Will something bad happen if I did intake fruit?

goodkel
on 9/24/11 7:24 am
On September 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM Pacific Time, Sexyvt123 wrote:
Why is it so important to avoind fruit and sugar?  I always thought fruit was a natural sugar?  I read other post where people use fruit to make their protien shakes.  Will something bad happen if I did intake fruit?
"Natural" sugar makes no difference. Sugar is sugar and will slow your weight loss no differently than eating it in a candy bar.

It may give you gas, but it won't kill you.

Particularly while you are trying to lose or maintain weight, you want to keep your carbs low. Some keep it below 50, some below 100.

Stats from the USDA web site:

One serving of red seedless grapes=20 grams of sugar/carbs of their 88 calories, 80 are from sugar.

One cup of cantalope=13 grams of sugar of 54 calories, 52 are from sugar.

One navel orange=23 grams of sugar of 132 calories, 92 are from sugar.
(and how many do you need to fill one tumbler of juice?)

One apple=23 grams, of 116 calories, 92 are from sugar.

One banana=17 grams, of 125 calories, 68 are from sugar.

Not that we have to count calories--just carbs. But, I wanted to give you a picture of how much fruit is composed of sugar.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 5:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
You're totally normal and it's going to last a while. The mouth is partly because you're low on fluids, partly due to the many drugs and will soon involve ketosis breath. Messed up sense of smell is also totally normal.

Push the FLUIDS. Push them HARDER. Your dryness is a sign of inadequate hydration. Remember how I've told a bunch of times how to take it a teaspoon at a time, a teaspoon per minute, using a timer? Do this.

If you do it that way, you will take in one ounce in six minutes and it will take about 5-1/2 hours of your waking day to consume 64 oz.

When it becomes truly easy to do one teaspoon per minute, do two. Then do a tablespoon per minute. Then do MORE than 64 oz. per day. That's the MINIMUM and might not be nearly enough for you. I would dry up and blow away on just two quarts of fluids per day, as in land in the ER in no time flat.

You don't need any protein just yet if the supplements gag you. Wait a couple days, get yourself HYDRATED and then think about trying again.

And stay. off. the. scale. That 8 pounds is WATER, nothing else. In a little while, you're going to stop dumping water and start retaining it again. Then the scale will stop or even go UP and you're going to have a completely worthless panic attack. Those numbers are MEANINGLESS right now.

Right now you are recovering from surgery, NOT focusing on weight loss, okay?

You're doing fine.

AllieInOntario
on 9/24/11 6:24 am
LoL.... I can tell ya about smell.  I walked around for days saying: I stink!!  I could smell every smell coming off my body.  Drove me crazy!   Didn't think it was possible to hate the smell of things that were a hundred feet away!  The fainted smell of any of my body parts had me racing for the shower!  Unless I smelled like baby's own/or ivory soap, I was convinced that I stank LOL 

The smell and taste of protein drinks... GAG... the smell of foods I used to like... GAG ... anything too sweet... GAG.    It does get easier after the first month or so.  Weirdest nice smell I had: driving down a country road and I said: I smell apples.  Couple of seconds later, ... we happened upon an apple tree, losing it's apples by the side of the road.  Weird :)

If warm water is your thing - get fruity teas. Lemon tea, is my favorite.  Celestial Seasonings have a multipack that has peach, apple, berry and something else.  Tasty.    I tried chicken broth without anything else in it... ICK.  But Cup of Soup... you might want to try that.  It's my go to for mid day snack, and when you're into solids more you can buy some canned chicken and toss a few spoons of it into the soup... protein :)

If you get round to cold things: Mr Freeze Brand makes SF freezies.  They helped get the liquids in, had the sweeter taste of fruity stuff. 
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 7:18 am
You've been given good advice.

Try mint tea, I liked the Morrocan Mint (Stash) or Plantation Mint (Bigelow), they have the added benefit of settling your tummy.

Like the others said, don't stress the protein.  One kind you might try is the Ready to Drink Atkin's shakes.  They don't have a lot of protein, I think it is now 15 gms but they were easy on my gut and didn't have that 'proteiny' taste.

It will get easier, I promise, just stay hydrated!

Michele
J J the Jet Plane
on 9/24/11 7:48 am
I feel you.  Same thing about the breath here-- brush teeth, mouthwash several times a day to keep it not driving my smelling sensitivity crazy. 

There are some days I can not do a protein shake but then the next day I can. 

I am exactly the opposite-- I want everything ICE cold. 
I have had one grape and one bite of banana and a few pieces of mandarin oranges this month. So not much fruit at all, I have had some vegetables.

I am craving 2 things root beer and salad.  LOL 
Maybe someday!

I'll be hanging in there with you!
JJ
goodkel
on 9/24/11 7:58 am
On September 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, J J the Jet Plane wrote:
I feel you.  Same thing about the breath here-- brush teeth, mouthwash several times a day to keep it not driving my smelling sensitivity crazy. 

There are some days I can not do a protein shake but then the next day I can. 

I am exactly the opposite-- I want everything ICE cold. 
I have had one grape and one bite of banana and a few pieces of mandarin oranges this month. So not much fruit at all, I have had some vegetables.

I am craving 2 things root beer and salad.  LOL 
Maybe someday!

I'll be hanging in there with you!
JJ
A little bit of fruit here and there isn't a problem. Watermelon was one of the few things that went down easily for me in the very early days.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but you should should do some research on the sugar content of vegetables. I know leafy green vegetables are ok. But, some like corn and peas are LOADED with sugar.

In your very early days, eat what goes down and sits easily. But, wean yourself off the high carb foods as soon as possible.

We don't need to eat fruits and vegetables for good nutrition, especially in the weight loss window. Our vitamins are taking care of that for us.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

J J the Jet Plane
on 9/24/11 8:13 am
I have had very limited carbs/ vegetables. In my first month I have lost 60 lbs. So Im doing ok, I just need more fluid. Its getting better. 
goodkel
on 9/24/11 8:19 am
Congrats on the loss!

I hope you don't think I was insinuating anything about your personal eating habits.

I was mostly concerned with getting that info about veggies out there since you mentioned them.

Keep up the good work!
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

J J the Jet Plane
on 9/24/11 8:34 am
Thank you it has been a long week of dealing with dehydration.  Not offended not at all-- I only had bites not a whole fruit- Im not insane!!!!   I wish for salad-- but it isn't in my best interest yet-- especially since I heard the term salad shooter!! No thank you!  :-) But thanks for letting me know about that- because Im sure that will come up as we start to eat more veggies.  You're right it isn't mentioned much.

I have had a mandarin pieces with my iron, it really has changed how the reflux acts and helps keep it down.   Plain water hasnt been kind to me so I keep trying different vitamin waters, diet snapple - watered down, all still too sugary for me. Vitamin water zero with acai -blueberry - pomegranate seems to be working today.

Today I am almost at 64 oz so I am overjoyed.
JJ