Tired physically, muscles etc.

Justin K.
on 9/24/11 1:47 am - Grand Island, NE
Few things:
I'm 6 months post op, on Vitalady's schedule, I drink at least 64oz of water a day, usually more.

I'm about to go in for my 6 month labs and meet with my surgeon.  Since having the surgery I've been pretty run down, the muscles in my arms and legs feel like I've just finished working out, even though I haven't.  Also my hands and feet are generally pretty cold.

When I had my 3 month labs done my iron was really low, since then I've been supplimenting it pretty heavily.  How likely is it that these symptoms are due to iron deficency?  I think I eat enough protein a day, generally over 120 grams of protein (shakes, meat, eggs, bacon).

I'm hoping all I need is an iron infusion and I'll feel better, 'cause I'm tired of feeling run down and tired.  Does this seem likely?

Did I miss anything?  
Thanks,
Justin
Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 1:58 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need iron infusions, almost assuredly plural. If you don't have good iron levels, you don't have good strong red blood cells, and therefore they can't carry good nutrition. This makes you not absorb all the other stuff as well.

DEMAND infusions. If your doc is a pain about this, demand harder. For some reason, many docs do not comprehend that we only have a few centimeters of the part of the intestine that absorbs iron, so WE MALABSORB ORAL IRON. This should IMNSHO be a big fat DUH for them, but somehow it isn't.

Imissthe80s
on 9/24/11 2:06 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 EN- Would you say that it is inevitable that eventually most DSers will need iron infusions? Or is it individual specific? Thoughts?

califsleevin
on 9/24/11 2:28 am - CA
On September 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, Imissthe80s wrote:
 EN- Would you say that it is inevitable that eventually most DSers will need iron infusions? Or is it individual specific? Thoughts?
It seems to be an individual thing. My wife had a DS about six years ago and never had any problems with iron until she had reconstruction and couldn't make up for the blood loss. She had several infusions for that, but the hemotologist told her one she was topped up and stable that he didn't think that she would need any more on a routine basis after that. It's been a year and a half since then and so far he's right.

In our local support group, there are some who need an infusion maybe annually, and others who never do. YMMV

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Elizabeth N.
on 9/24/11 2:33 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's pretty common, yes. For that matter, a LOT of people in later life would benefit from iron infusions. So how much of it is the malabsorption and how much is aging? Who knows?

I lasted a pretty long time, over four years, without needing them. Two infusions made me an awful lot happier, but I need the lab results to see how the numbers look. I anticipate doing them again at semi regular intervals now, but we shall see.

The gentleman's wife, mentioned below, lasted a surprisingly long time without them, too. Many of us need them sooner.

If you're still getting the monthly visitor (or start up again postop if that's a problem now), you're having a monthly iron depletion that might make it more likely that you'll need to move in that direction.

These are generalities. I have no data to back them up. Vitalady corroborated these observations in our conversations last summer, and she's seen a lot more folks than I have :-). Don't know if she has any data to show us either, though.

rhonda C.
on 9/25/11 4:18 am - PA
EN,
I feel the exact same way I am almost 3 years out,I am so scared that my iron is getting too low,I am always tired,aches,when that time of the month comes, OMG I am wiped out for at least 3-4 days.I have lost a total of 164 lbs,you would think I would have so much energy but,I cannot wait to get home at night to relax.This is crazy,I don't want to be like this.
I tried talking Dr. Bonanni's office into infuions,they say.."oh but your red blood cells and Albumin are good,I don't really think you need it." Mean while I take double doses of iron daily,still numbers for total iron is only 46.What do they expext us to do.I am thinking I may try my PCP,to see if he will authorize.
Thanks for your advise to us..I will push harder.
Rhonda
Rhonda   

Confidence never comes from having all the answers:
it comes from being open to ask questions

Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 4:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
You've been told HOW many times that Bonnani's practice is utterly useless for anything except cutting....? Quit wasting your time with them and go someplace that gives a damn and listens to patients and SCIENCE. They don't do any of that there.

rhonda C.
on 9/25/11 5:12 am - PA
Yes I know EN,I recently found a really good PCP,that seems like he is open minded,I am going to make an appt and expain everything,give updated as well as past labs,suggest infusions and go from there.It is a damn shame we have to fight for our health this way,It is a money hungry world out there.I have heard his practice was this way.
Usually I monitor my own labs and consult here and with Vita lady to adjust.I don't listen to them as far as that goes.No way no how.That is what is a shame..That is why I am so thankful for this site.

Aagin,thanks much for your input.
Rhonda
Rhonda   

Confidence never comes from having all the answers:
it comes from being open to ask questions

Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 6:08 am - Burlington County, NJ
That's why I won't recommend them at ALL. The stories I hear from there **** me off no end.

I would ask any balking doctor just HOW SICK DO I HAVE TO GET BEFORE YOU'LL TREAT THIS DAMMIT?!?!?!?!?!?!??! Isn't it better to prevent BIG PROBLEMS?

That was exactly the point of view of the doc I saw in MT about infusions last summer. Easy peasy. This should not be rocket science. GRRRR.

Emily F.
on 9/24/11 3:55 am
I would up the protein and the water. I get below 150 g protein and I feel faint, so I'm sure a guy would need even more than me. Also, I've heard 1/2 body weight in oz. So if you weigh 200 that is at least 100 oz in water.

Hope the labs will tell you something.